Richard, Computer Engineer
Experience:  Over 15 years of consulting to the IT industry
32989067

my Toshiba laptop satellite pro c660 will not accept my password

my Toshiba laptop satellite pro c660 will not accept my password & will not f2,f8,f12 or recovery disk or usb
Category: Laptop
Expert:  Richard replied 3 years ago.

Thank you for your question, my name is ***** ***** I look forward to assisting you. Please note, click on Reply to Expert to reply to me, a rating is only needed when we are finished.

Are you referring to the Windows Login Password?

And when it fails, what message do you receive? eg: User Profile Failed to Load?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

hi Richard no my own password ***** had not used my L/T for 5 or 6 weeks when i started up it asked for p/w which i entered & it returned (invalid password ***** not unlocked try again) no matter what i do that's as far as i can get it will not answer to pressing F2,F8,F12 or when i put recovery disk in, on disk or usb, it is just locked on ENTER PASSWORD,

Expert:  Richard replied 3 years ago.

First, can you turn off the computer

turn it on and keep tapping F8 until you get to a menu.

Choose Safe Mode.

This should get you into Windows in Safe Mode (you wont have internet but it is not needed for this).

Once in, click Start, and type in

System Restore

Press enter and follow the onscreen instructions to perform a Restore from the last Restore point.

Once completed, tell me if you can now start into Windows normally please.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

have tried that & nothing happens just stays on asking for p/w

Expert:  Richard replied 3 years ago.
You mean you cannot get to the Menu with Safe mode?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

yes cannot get any thing at all

Expert:  Richard replied 3 years ago.

Can you turn off the Laptop

Hold 0 (zero) and with it held down, turn on the Laptop and tell me if this gets you to the recovery manager please.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

tried that nothing happens when you release 0 it asks for p/w

Expert:  Richard replied 3 years ago.

It is the chipset or the entire mainboard that has faulted.

If we cannot even get to the recovery manager, which requires no software of password, it points to the chipset and why it is not accepting your password ***** matter what you enter.

I am really sorry about this and you are going to have to return the laptop to have it replaced. It will be covered by the warranty, and the replacement will be done at no cost to you. But as the issue is hardware, this has to be done.

I am really sorry about this, and if you have problems, or would like any additional information or assistance, please do not hesitate to let me know.

And if you can take a second to rate my service, that would be greatly appreciated.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

how can that happen when it has not been used?

Expert:  Richard replied 3 years ago.
Hardware fault, so a faulty hardware component was used when manufacturing the Laptop, else Excessive heat, Dust Build up or it was knocked very hard.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

none of those seem to apply but thanks anyway Richard

Expert:  Richard replied 3 years ago.
The initial will then apply.

Hardware can always fail, and if we cannot even get to the recovery manager, which requires no software, this is the case. It will be a faulty component that was used.

If you would like any additional information or assistance, please do not hesitate to let me know.