John
John, Laptop Support Specialist
Experience:  I have been in the IT field for the past 8 years. I also worked as a system admin for a construction company for 3 years.
50152684

Hi, My HP Pavilion g7 will not Return to original factory

My HP Pavilion g7 will not Return to original factory set up. When restarted it just returns to the HP recovery pane, what am I doing wrong? When I try from f9 it just asks for the start-up disc, which I never had.
Can you help?

Ivan
Category: Laptop
Expert:  John replied 3 years ago.

John :

Hello my name is***** will be assisting you today. I am sorry to hear that you are having trouble with your PC. I will try my best to help you

John :

Sir can you please provide the full model of the HP G7 laptop which you can find on the bottom of the laptop.
Example for a model is HP Pavilion g7-1113cl

John :

Also which is the operating system installed in the PC.Is it windows Xp, Windows Vista, Windows 7, windows 8 or any other ?

Customer:

Hi John,

Customer:

If you mean the under, nothing there only the Win7 operating system (Home). Do I have to unscrew the panel to get the model number?

Customer:

The problem started after I had deep scanned the HD with my 'Iolo Pro' it had recommended a re-start, and it would not restart.

Customer:

I Found model number under battery cover - 'g7 - 1204sa'

Customer:

I have had problems with the Iolo Pro Mechanic on my PC - very similar crashes on start-up, directly after a maintenance run, so I took the program off the PC.

Customer:

The HP 'Return to factory Condition' seems caught in a loop. Appears to partition then down load drivers and such, checks off the three small boxes then loads them. Asks for a restart, then a fail to recover box appears and the loop repeats.

Customer:

Just found a recovery disc and ran it, thought I had succeeded it was all working in 'Basic' down loaded all drivers and such and set up to run in basic windows. But after the requested restart, it just went back to the HP failure to recover window.

John :

First off all i apologize for the delay i went for a short break.

John :

Let me check the details of your laptop using the model you gave and In future do not install applications that say it will fix the errors and speed up the system those applications will do harm than good so avoid them at all cost.

John :

You had mentioned that you had successfully re-installed windows 7 using the recovery disc but after loading the drivers and all it restart the PC and didn't boot to windows am i correct.did it install the drivers and all from the recovery disc you used to re-install windows or did you download and install it from internet ?

John :

Did you install anything other than from the HP recovery disc ?

Customer:

No

John :

did you make this recovery disc or did you get it from HP?

Customer:

I made when for got Laptop

John :

I believe you are currently chatting to me from another PC

John :

also do you have the HP G7 laptop with you now?

Customer:

Yes but closed down

John :

before this recovery screen showed up it successfully installed windows 7 am i correct

Customer:

Yes, I installed R disc from f8

John :

Please try the following

Turn on the laptop then press F8 repeatedly when you see the HP start-up screen then you will get Advance boot Menu on the Advanced Boot Options screen, use the arrow keys to highlight the Safe Mode and then press ENTER.

John :

see if it loads to safe mode and let me know

Customer:

When I press f8 repeatedly I get a bleeding sound, when pressed normally I have bios screen. Select Note Book Hard Drive or Internal CD/DVD ROM drive

John :

you need to tap F8 not holding on to the F8 that is why it made the long beep

John :

can you please retry

Customer:

Getting Win loading file - as before

John :

did you get this after the error recovery window or after you pressed F8

Customer:

After tapping f8

John :

did you get advanced boot menu after pressing F8

Customer:

No - only the HP recovery panel

John :

is it still loading the file ?

Customer:

No, it's waiting for instruction

John :

what all options does it shows?

Customer:

1 - Restore to previous date. 2 Restore to factory condition. 3 Restore operating system and drivers

John :

which is the option you tried before?

Customer:

All three

John :

OK is there any external devices connected to the laptop like usb hard drive etc

Customer:

No

John :

do you have recovery disc in the drive?

Customer:

No

John :

Is the power adapter connected now

Customer:

Yes, just in case you need it my name is Ivan

Customer:

Just thought, there is a mouse wireless dongle attatched

John :

Nice to know you name Ivan.no problem with wireless mouse usually.
can you please do the following
1.Turn off the laptop wait for 2min
2.Turn on the computer, and then press esc while the “Press the ESC key Startup Menu” message is displayed at the bottom of the screen.Then, press f11 while the F11 (System Recovery) message is displayed on the screen

John :

let me know whether it shows the recovery screen

Customer:

Did that, and it's doing as a normal f11

John :

you mean you didn't get the HP system recovery screen?

Customer:

It's showing the HP recovery again

John :

OK in that page does it shows restore to factory condition?

Customer:

Yes, but did this before so far

John :

You said that it went to loop by doing this factory restore am i correct

Customer:

Yes

John :

does it goes to loop after full installation or during the process it restarts and goes to the loop ?

Customer:

Restarts and then loops

Customer:

Shows an error or failure to recover

John :

can you please let me know the full error code it shows ?

Customer:

John I have started on recovery it will take some 15 minutes to get to that stage

John :

No worries i will wait because if the hard drive have bad sectors or irrecoverable errors then this can happen

Customer:

I will go and make a coffee then, will you be still here?

John :

yes i will be here

Customer:

Hi John, got my coffee (real) the lap top is at 55%

John :

Good.enjoy the coffee

John :

is it on copying part or expanding part?

Customer:

expanding I think, as it shows three checked boxes

John :

OH OK

Customer:

80%

John :

Good

Customer:

It says 'Installing Original Software'

John :

OK

Customer:

Nearly there 93%

John :

OK do not forget to note down exact error message/code

Customer:

Now requesting a restart

John :

ok continue with it

Customer:

Restoration Incomplete - (205) UIA write failed 3x

John :

is that all it shows

Customer:

Yes I have 3 options Save Log, Details and Restart

John :

click on details please

Customer:

That's the 205

John :

i am confused what do you mean by 205 ?

John :

You mean the detailed error shows [205] UIA WRITE FAILED 3 times am i correct

Customer:

The UIA write failed 3x

John :

ok

John :

let me check that error code give me a moment

Customer:

Its on Notepad as CTOERROR

Customer:

Sorry about this. ending .flg

John :

can you please restart the laptop and press F2 key repeatedly when you see the HP start-up screen

Customer:

OK

John :

see it it shows a diagnostics option in it

Customer:

System Diagnostics

John :

open it then let me know what all tests it shows

Customer:

OK got that

John :

let me know what all tests it shows

Customer:

F1=System Information, F2= Start-up Test, F3=Run-in Test and F4=Hard Disc Test

Customer:

F11=Error log

John :

press F4 and run the hard disk test

Customer:

OK

Customer:

Showing Quick Test

John :

run quick test and let me know it result

Customer:

Its running - 10 secs per 1%

John :

ok

John :

when you installed from recovery disc which recovery option did you choose?

Customer:

Got question; One was Hard drive recovery or CD or DVD recovery disc

Customer:

45%

John :

OK,In DVD recovery which option did you choose like factory restore or erase all partitions and create new and install on it?

Customer:

It just said; Install system and drivers in Win

John :

That is all the option it showed ?

Customer:

Or from Hard Drive recovery

John :

ok so you choose Install system and drivers in Win am i correct

Customer:

Yes after first going for Internal Hard Drive which was the HP recovery

John :

OK how far is the test now

Customer:

78%

John :

ok

John :

how many recovery disc's are there ?

Customer:

Just one

John :

ok during the installation using the disc did you get a screen like this

Full Size Image

Customer:

No, it was a bios screen

Customer:

96%

John :

I believe what you created is a windows 7 recovery disc not HP recovery disc,can you please tell me how you created the recovery disc?

Customer:

Quick Test Passed its now running full test

Customer:

You a probably right, I really cannot say as it was done in 2011 I bought this lap top in 2012

John :

OK i can understand.Full test will take a long time.is there a cancel option in the full test?

Customer:

No discs came when it was new the HP Recovery was portioned

Customer:

Yes It showing Hard Disc SMART passed

Customer:

also SWIFT passed

Customer:

Sorry about the last comment that's rubbish

John :

Its Ok.Cancel the test and then insert the recovery disc and restart the laptop and press F12 key repeatedly when it shows the HP start-up screen see if it shows boot device selection

Customer:

Just before I start. The DVD shows System Repair Disc Win7 64 bit

John :

OK that seems like windows 7 repair disc not recovery disc .insert it and so the above i mentioned

Customer:

Ok Its now showing the HP Restoration Failure window

John :

does it show any options

Customer:

Only the 3 Save Log, Details and Retry

John :

You mean it didn't show the boot selection screen after you pressed F12 instead it showed the HP restoration failure screen am i correct

Customer:

Correct

John :

OK restart again and press F9 key repeatedly when you see the HP start-up and see if it shows boot selection

Customer:

OK

Customer:

Now Bios Boot Manager with two options.1 Note book Hard Drive. 2 Internal CD/DVD ROM drive

John :

select internal cd/dvd..... and press enter

John :

let me know the options it shows

Customer:

Win loading files

John :

ok let me know options it shows after that

Customer:

Suddenly switched to HP Welcome to Recovery with Microsoft System Restore

John :

you mean with the previous options like - Restore to previous date. 2 Restore to factory condition. 3 Restore operating system and drivers

Customer:

This is a different window that the other one. Its full screen as the other is just an inset box

John :

are the options same ?

John :

or is there any other extra options

Customer:

More or less but it is saying 'Recovery Manager' the small box was System Restoration

John :

You mean like this

Full Size Image

Customer:

That's the small box

John :

can you tell me the additional options it shows other than Restore to previous date. 2 Restore to factory condition. 3 Restore operating system and drivers

Customer:

1 Microsoft System Restore, 2Run Comp Check-up and 3File Back up program

John :

Is this the same restore process you did before using the disc you created ?

Customer:

No

John :

This screen also have the Restore to factory condition. and Restore operating system and drivers option too

Customer:

No; just the Microsoft System Restore (Ihave been here before though)

John :

OK in that case you need to get HP recovery disc from the following site http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwareCategory?os=4063&lc=en&cc=uk&dlc=en&sw_lang=&product=5189780#N1493

Customer:

Do this now

John :

did you see the recovery media option

Customer:

Yes

John :

in that click on the link

Customer:

John what do I request?

John :

Is this the site you got https://www.best2serve.com/page/rcd_landing

Customer:

Recovery Kits

John :

under Check product availability enter your laptop product number

Customer:

OK

John :

see if the recovery disc is available or not

John :

did you check it

Customer:

Which is the product key on the label there are 3 lots of numbers

John :

its asking for product number (p/n) which is specifically noted on the bottom of the laptop on a sticker

John :

see if this link helps you identify the p/n http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?cc=us&lc=en&docname=c00033108

Customer:

I know, but there are three lots of numbers; with 2 bar codesThe Product Key number is ***** as not recognised

John :

In the above link please check the option 2 and see if you can find the product number from bios

Customer:

John, it's been a long and stony road. I am starting to get hassle from my wife. I will try again later. have to call it a day

John :

I can understand sir.when you have time check the above link to locate the part number then use that part number to get the recovery disc.Once you have the disc use the same process to boot from the HP recovery disc which is using F9 key then once you have sucessfully booted using the disc there is a option to remove all partition and install windows& drivers select that then creat a single partition and install windows & drivers in it.I believe that will fix the issue

John :

If you cannot get recovery disc then you need to contact HP using this 1-800-474-6836 and explain the situation

John :

did you understand sir?
I know its frustrating but those are the only options i am really sorry about that

Customer:

John are you still there? Its is saying that there is no recovery kit for that product number, I got it from the bios screen

John :

yes i am still here.In that case you need to contact HP using this 1-800-474-6836 and explain the situation

John :

explain that you need the recovery disc to re-install the machine the in-built recovery partition is corrupt which wont work after restart

Customer:

OK John, thanks again for your help I was thinking that this may be a terminal end for my old lap top. Will get it seen to and give it to my wife (so she stays off my PC) Will get a more up to date lap top with at least a Terra memory

John :

I can understand but for certain issues like these the options are narrow i hope you can understand.Is there anything else you like to know

John :

If the HP people cannot help then the only option is to get a retail version of windows 7 disc and use that to install windows 7 on the HP laptop

Customer:

No thank's John you have been great and very patient. I guess the Iolo PC Manager was not a good thing, it actually came as a package with this lap top. It did cause many a lesser crash

John :

Also if you are planning for a new laptop i suggest you either go for a dell or lenovo laptop also take extended warranty too.NO never install or use applications like iolo those applications will do harm than good

John :

There are lot of such programs which says it will do system fixing and speed up the pc do not fall it

Customer:

Many, many thanks good night will heed your final advice

John :

You are welcome.

If you are satisfied with my services/answer please rate positively using the options just below this chat box select the rating and click on submit that will do it. If you feel the need to rate me negatively, please stop and let me know what else you need to know so that I can help you further.Have a Great God Blessed Day.