IT Miro
IT Miro, Computer Scientist
Experience:  Bachelor's Degree in Information Technology, Microsoft Certified Professional
30721786

Hi everyone ... I have an HP Pavilion dm-1 running Windows

Customer Question

Hi everyone ...
I have an HP Pavilion dm-1 running Windows 7.
Suddenly it has returned a black screen when restarting and has to be terminated manually. I then have to leave it for ten minutes or so before re-starting in the normal way or the black screen is still there and it has to be turned off manually again.
One thing I have noticed is that, during a percentage of these blackouts, I can hear everything loading as-per normal.
When booting from cold there is no problem at all and the display is perfectly normal.
It seems really odd that this problem only happens on a restart...
Category: Laptop
Expert:  Jason Jones replied 2 years ago.

My name is Jason. I look forward to helping you today.

Do you only have this problem when "Restarting" or do you also have the problem when shutting down and starting off new?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

No Jason, as I said above, the problem is only on restart... Having selected restart, the machine shuts down and does not boot up again. As I also mentioned, I then have to leave the machine for around ten minutes before it then starts normally.

Thank you for the update.

No extra charge:
May I please, start a remote screen sharing session with you so that I can better help you resolve this problem?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Yes, sure Jason...am working on the machine at the moment but will close everything of consequence down.

Please, click the following link and choose to run the remote application: http://166.78.231.170:8040/?Session=859bccd8-70ba-4bc4-b700-00df73a2f7ac

Are you having any problems with running that remote application after it is downloaded?

Which Internet browser are you currently using (Internet Explorer, Firefox, Safari, or something of the like)?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

'Morning Jason...

(Don't start twitching!)

Obviously the first question above has been dealt with. The answer to the second is Firefox.

Mark

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

You replied

01 July 2014 07:32 (GMT/GMT)

'Morning Jason...

(Don't start twitching!)

Mark

Edit

I have run out of ideas.

For this reason, I am opting out of the question and allowing another expert the chance to help.

I wish you luck,
- Jason
Expert:  IT Miro replied 2 years ago.

Hello! I am IT Miro and I will assist you on this question.

Do you still require assistance with the original problem or it has been solved?

Let me know,
IT Miro
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Well, I THINK I still need help ...although, on reinstalling my printer drivers this afternoon, the machine seems to have restarted itself while I wasn't watching!

I will try that again when you're online but, in the meantime, I still have some strange things happening:- i.e. the 'mute' light is currently on and stays on on the keyboard even though I have sound...Malwarebytes is just one of a few programs that starts and then immediately flashes up an error message saying it has 'stopped'.

Very strange altogether.

Expert:  IT Miro replied 2 years ago.
OK.

Do you know when these problems first started to happen?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Roughly two months ago Miro, but I can't remember if it coincided with anything else I did to the machine.

Expert:  IT Miro replied 2 years ago.
OK.

Have you tried to restore the computer to an earlier point in time using System Restore, when all worked fine?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Yes, three or four times Miro...it made no difference.

Expert:  IT Miro replied 2 years ago.

OK.

You can boot to the Windows Diagnostic startup to see if the problem will still be present since Windows will load only basic services without any startup program. It could be that one of installed services or startup programs is causing the problem.

To boot to the Diagnostic startup, follow these instructions:

1. Press the Windows Logo key and R key simultaneously to bring up the Run box

2. There type msconfig and press Enter

3. System Configuration window will open. In the General tab, select Diagnostic startup

4. Click OK and then click the Restart button which will restart the computer

Next time when your computer starts, you won't see standard startup programs. Don't worry, it is only temporary.

Just check if the problem is still there or not.

To go back to Normal startup so that Windows can load usual services and startup programs, access the System Configuration window again and select Normal startup. Click OK and then Restart.

Let me know the results.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Well I'll try all that Miro, but it is the Restart process that is the problem. It just won't do it. Nevertheless, will try all you suggest - but, if I don't get back to you quickly, it's because it didn't restart again!

That is the whole problem:- when it is asked to restart, the screen just stays black - although sometimes I can hear some loading in the background.

Uusually though, it's just a bit of fan noise and then nothing. It's no good trying to start it again for around ten minutes minimum.

After that (and obviously for the first boot of the day) it all loads up OK.

Weird!

(Did you know all this?)

Expert:  IT Miro replied 2 years ago.
Quite strange problem.

Let me know the results of the Diagnostics statup.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I don't know where you're located Miro, but it's coming up towards midnight here in the UK, so, if it's OK with you, I'll try the restart when I shut it down shortly for the night and get back to you in the morning with the result...?

Expert:  IT Miro replied 2 years ago.
OK, no problem.

Good night!
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Absolutely no difference whatever IT Miro. Still went blank when it was supposed to restart and had to leave it the almost-statutory ten minutes before it restarted normally.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Relist: Other.
To be honest, I think your experts seem to have exhausted their options on this problem now = plus I think the time change means that I'm getting responses around midnight GMT.
So, all in all, thank you for your attempts at help. I will be back, but, on this occasion, I think I'll just take the machine to HP.
Expert:  IT Miro replied 2 years ago.
Hi again!

Sorry for the time difference and late responses!

Unfortunately, this seems to be a hardware problem so, if possible, take your computer to HP authorized service center for diagnostics, especially if the computer is still under warranty. Hopefully, they will determine the cause of the problem and fix it.

I am sorry I couldn't help you with this problem! For any other computer-related problems, feel free to contact me.

Regards,
IT Miro