IT Miro
IT Miro, Computer Scientist
Experience:  Bachelor's Degree in Information Technology, Microsoft Certified Professional
30721786

I have an acer Aspire V3-772G-747 a8 laptop. This was purchased

I have an acer Aspire V3-772G-747 a8 laptop. This was purchased in December 2013 and has worked OK until now. I'm now having great difficulty in getting the laptop to boot up. when I turn it on, the hard drive light only "pulses" and the machine doesn't do anything else.. If I repeatedly try to turn the laptop on it will eventually boot up properly. Once the laptop is up and running everything works fine.
I've recently had to do a restart (loading software) and the laptop attempted to reboot without needing to press the on/off switch but I still had the same problem.
The laptop has been running windows 8.1 from the start.
software or hardware problem?
Category: Laptop
Expert:  IT Miro replied 3 years ago.

Hello! I am IT Miro and I will assist you on this question.

Here is what you can do to check if it will solve the problem:

1. Completely turn off the laptop

2. Disconnect the power connector from the laptop

3. Turn the laptop over and remove the laptop battery

4. After that, reconnect only the power connector and turn on the laptop - see if it will turn on without issues. If yes, turn if off and re-connect the laptop battery, then check if it will turn turn on successfully again

If it won't turn on right away, disconnect the power connector and the laptop battery again, and press and hold the power button for 30 seconds, then release it.

Now re-connect the battery and the power adapter and turn the laptop on.

Let me know the results.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Laptop at home, I'm currently at work. however I will try your suggestion and get back to you as soon as I can. Thks

Expert:  IT Miro replied 3 years ago.
Sure, no problem.

Regards,
IT Miro
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Have now followed your instructions (power off, battery out etc) but to no avail.

I have also noticed that the the laptop audio is making a faint but audible clicking as the HDD indicator light pulses.

also the screen faintly flashes at the same time.

I've also tried accessing the set up menu during boot up but without success.

The laptop basically just does what I previously said.

Expert:  IT Miro replied 3 years ago.
Hi again!

This is starting to look as a hardware problem.

What you can do next it to attempt to reset the BIOS settings to default by accessing it when the laptop is being turned on.

To do that, please turn off the laptop and then turn it on (restart) and then immediately start pressing the F2 key. It should enter the BIOS which has several tabs. You can only use your keyboard there so navigate to the last tab - "Exit" and press Enter. There select "Load Setup Defaults" (or an option with similar name). Confirm the change by pressing the Y key and then Enter. After that, press the F10 key and confirm that you want to save and exit.

The laptop will then restart so check if there are any changes.

If that doesn't help, you could disconnect the hard disk drive, clean the connectors from dust (if found) and re-connect the hard disk drive.

To do that, you need to unscrew several screws to remove the hard disk and RAM compartment. This shouldn't be so hard, but there is a video you can watch to see how to do that.

This one is a good example - click on THIS LINK.

Once you have done that, observe if there are any changes.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I'll try the above tonight after work.

The thing that I find puzzling is that when the laptop does finally boot up correctly, it is clear from using that everything is then working OK.

BTW, the laptop has been used as a desktop replacement for the last couple of months and basically hasn't moved or had any jolts.

Expert:  IT Miro replied 3 years ago.
OK.

I hope the above instructions help, so try them whenever you can.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Have tried all suggested. Unfortunately nothing worked. Will have to return laptop to acer.

Expert:  IT Miro replied 3 years ago.
Hi again!

Unfortunately, this seems to be a hardware problem so, if possible, take your laptop to Acer authorized service center for diagnostics, especially if the laptop is still under warranty. The problem is probably caused by the faulty capacitors that cannot hold the charge, or it could be power supply as well.

I am sorry I couldn't help you with this particular problem! For any other computer-related problems, feel free to contact me.

Regards,
IT Miro
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Have returned the laptop to the manufacturer under warranty.

So this issue can now be considered closed.

Basically tried all you suggested but it increasing looks like a hardware issue.

Clutching at straws but considered it worth a go as returning the laptop under warranty probably means it will be gone for 4-6 weeks.

Expert:  IT Miro replied 3 years ago.
OK, I understand.

In case you require any other assistance, let me know.

Regards,
IT Miro