Joel Kalman
Joel Kalman, Computer Specialist
Experience:  I am a self-employed computer specialist with 6 years experience as a network engineer for the federal government.
76287196

I have a laptop running Windows 7 ultimate 64bit and I have

I have a laptop running Windows 7 ultimate 64bit and I have a hp officejet pro 8500 and I am having problems setting up the scan to network folder facility.

I have previously set it up on my home network without any problems but now I am setting in up on my work network. The pc and printer are the same it is just the wifi network that is different. The actual model of router is the exact same

Category: Laptop
Expert:  Pete replied 3 years ago.
Hi Mark,
This problem may be related to a security or permissions setting, or a firewall.
First, check if you are able to access the shared folder from another computer on the same network. If not, then you will need to check the security restrictions on that shared folder.
Also try setting up a shred folder on a different computer on the same network to check if it is experiencing the same problem. If it also fails the connection test, then I will need to know more about the network setup, i.e. is there a DHCP server, do the computers have static IP addresses, etc.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I setup the folder and I wasn't able to see it on another computer on the network. I also checked on the other computer and I was able to see the printer so they are on the same network. I removed the password ***** my computer and it made no difference. I entered the sharing properties of the folder and have attached a picutreshared properties

Expert:  Pete replied 3 years ago.
Ok, then it is a networking problem.
Do you have a DHCP server?
What are the IP addresses of both computers, and of the printer?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

The router I am using is an Intellinet 150n router. It is connected to a cable router. The IP address of my PC is 192.168.1.100 and the IP address of the printer is 192.168.2.101. and the IP address of the other computer is 192.168.2.102. I logged into the admin of my router and the DCHP server ip range is 192.168.2.100 to 192.168.2.200

Expert:  Pete replied 3 years ago.
Ok Mark, the two PCs are on different domains -
192.168.1
192.168.2
The PC you are using will need to have an IP address on the same domain as the printer - 192.168.2
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I made a typo the IP address of my computer is 192.168.2.100

Expert:  Pete replied 3 years ago.
Ok, so as an experiment, can your computer and the other computer both see a shared folder on the other machine, and can they both access and save to that shared folder?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I cannot see the other computer and it cannot see mine. I shared a folder on my computer and I cannot see it on the other computer

Expert:  Pete replied 3 years ago.
Can you see the other computer on the network?
Can you ping it's IP address?
Can you map the shared folder on the other computer?
Also ensure there's no third party firewall on either computer.
You could try temporarily disabling all firewalls to see if it helps.
You will need to have mapped the folder on the other computer too.
Instead of mapping it by IP, try mapping the username instead, i.e. \\USER1-PC\mark scan folder
Make sure network discovery and file and printer sharing are turned on. Public folder sharing should also be turned on.
Let me know if that helps.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I haven't been back to my office yet to try your advice. I will pop in tomorrow to try

Expert:  Pete replied 3 years ago.
Ok, let me know how it goes.
Expert:  Pete replied 3 years ago.
Hi Mark,
I'm just following up with you to see how everything is going. Did my answer help?
Let me know,
Pete.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi Pete,

I am only just back in my office today.

Your advice given is below with my comments

No

Can you ping it's IP address?

I ping it's ip address but no response (192.168.2.102)

I have typed arp -a and it's ip address does not show. Just the printer 192.168.2.101 & 192.168.2.1 router and 192.168.2.255 (not sure what this is)

not able to map folder

Also ensure there's no third party firewall on either computer

have switched off third party virus software and windows firewall.

Tried this but it cannot be found

all turned on on both computers but no difference

Expert:  Pete replied 3 years ago.
Ok, can you ensure that the computers are set up as a 'Home Group', not as a Work or Public network, and let me know if that helps...
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

have done that and it has made no difference. Have attached the network and sharing centre screen grab

Attachment: 2014-07-23_141229_network_type.docx

Expert:  Pete replied 3 years ago.
Ok, then I'm afraid I'm out of ideas on this one!
I will opt out and see if another expert is able to assist you.
You will receive a notification when they post a response.
Best,
Pete.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

thanks

Expert:  Joel Kalman replied 3 years ago.
Hello. My name is ***** ***** I can help you solve your problem. Thank you for your question. My goal is to provide excellent customer service.
HERE IS THE ELECTRICAL PROBLEM WITH USING YOUR OWN ROUTER ON THE LOCAL AREA NETWORK: Your router is connected to the company router using a router-to-hub Ethernet connection. You cannot do that. The other possibility is a hub-to-hub connection. This will not work either, because you need a crossover cable. Without this special cable, you are connecting inputs to inputs and outputs to outputs on the Ethernet lines.
HERE IS THE LOGICAL PROBLEM WITH USING YOUR OWN ROUTER ON THE LOCAL AREA NETWORK: You have not provided the IP addresses of your router, but I am certain that it is 192.168.2.1. I am guessing that the IP address of the company gateway router is 192.168.1.1. These are two different domains. The proper way to bridge domains is by using an Ethernet bridge, not a router.
If you are satisfied with my information and advice, please be sure to give me a Good or Excellent rating.  If you are still having problems, please let me know. If you have any more questions, of if there is anything else I can do for you, please do not hesitate to ask.
I am grateful for the opportunity to be of service. I ONLY GET COMPENSATED FOR MY SERVICES WHEN I RECEIVE A POSITIVE RATING!
Joel Kalman, Computer Specialist
Experience: I am a self-employed computer specialist with 6 years experience as a network engineer for the federal government.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Still trying your advice will reply as soon as possible