Brandon M.
Brandon M., Computer Technician
Experience:  10+ Years Mac Support as contractor and currently an IT Manager for law firm
12024030

Hello, My laptop is a Toshiba satellite C670D-110 windows

Customer Question

My laptop is a Toshiba satellite C670D-110 windows 7
I have bought a spaced360 bluetooth speaker and want to connect it to my laptop to play music. I have also bought a bluetooth dongle as the laptop does not have bluetooth built in.
The dongle software has been installed and it shows up as a device so its installed.The bluetooth dongle is able to "find the" bluetooth speaker and following the procedure it is shown as a bluetooth device but not connected so I get no sound. I can connect the speaker via a cable to the headphone outlet on the laptop but it sort of defeats the object. The dongle works fine with another laptop so it is ok. Can you advise please?
Regards,
Tony
Category: Laptop
Expert:  Brandon M. replied 2 years ago.
Brandon M. :

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I would be happy to help you.

Brandon M. :

As I understand it, you are able to pair the device but not connect or are you able to see it but not pair it?

Customer:

Hello Brandon,

Customer:

Yes I think that is the problem although I have tried several times to get it going properly

Customer:

I can see it but not pair it

Brandon M. :

Ok, when you attempt to pair it, does it ask for a passcode of some sort?

Customer:

No

Brandon M. :

Ok, is the device in pairing mode when you are attempting this? (I assume yes or it might not show up)

Customer:

When I look under bluetooth connected devices the icon is present but properties say it is not connected (sorry for delay in reply)

Customer:

Also under bluetooth settings com5 is shown as the outgoing port followed by the name of the bluetooth device. Message says that a connection has been established with the device when I try to reconnect the speaker. Hope this helps

Brandon M. :

Sorry for my delay. So, it says it is connected?

Customer:

Yes - see my later note

Brandon M. :

Ok, so then you likely just need to set your output device to the speaker then.

Customer:

under device properties the speaker says it is not connected but a bleutooth message says it is??

Brandon M. :

Well, lets see - right-click on your speaker icon near the clock and choose Playback devices.

Brandon M. :

Do you see the speaker listed there?

Customer:

I can see the speaker icon under bluetooth devices from control panel. Right clicking gives me 4 options. Open services -refresh- remove device and properties but no pplayback device. Am I looking at the right area?

Brandon M. :

No, near the clock in the bottom right corner, there is a small speaker

Brandon M. :

When you right click it, there is 5 options

Customer:

OK,under playback i get playback/recording/sounds and communications. Under playback all I have is realtech speakers set as default. Nothing else.

Brandon M., Computer Technician
Experience: 10+ Years Mac Support as contractor and currently an IT Manager for law firm
Looks like our chat time is up but we can continue this way. Let me know if you made it.

Brandon

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Did you get my last message?

Yes, I did. Back in the Bluetooth control panel, where the device was, right-click it and remove it. The device should no longer be listed. On the speaker, press and hold the centre key for at least 3 seconds. The LED should start flashing rapidly. This means the device is in pairing mode. On your computer, there should be an Add button. The speaker should be listed and allow you to pair it again. After pairing is complete, it should connect itself.

Let me know how you make out with this.

Brandon

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thanks, ***** ***** I'd closed the connection to you. I've done what you suggest and under the add bluetooth device box it says device connection is successful but when try to play an mp3 file I get nothing from the speaker Under device properties the speaker shows as not connectedFrown. I've bee round this loop a couple of times with the same result. As I type Iam playing an mp3 via windows media played but sounds only on laptop speakers.

What does the LED look like on the speaker?

Brandon

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

It is currently off as a power saving device but if i press it once it slow flashes for a few seconds then it beeps and I get a continuous light and also a message owith a bluetooth icon saying it has succesfully connected

With the light steady, it should be connected. In the bluetooth control panel, does it still say not connected?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Yes.. Weird isn't it. It gives the description of audio device then on the next line the IP address if the speaker and on the last line it says status not connected.

Do you mind if we do a quick remote control session so I can take a look?

Brandon

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

OK

Great, please click here and run the software when requested:

http://www.justanswer.com/remotedesktop/join.aspx?Session=0d7a292c-f6ea-46e9-ac8e-e5c4fa46f494

Brandon

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

OK. Its done

Sorry I couldn't be of more assistance. I will opt out to allow another expert to continue with you.

Best regards,
Brandon

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

OK. Thanks for trying but I think I'll try another speaker the bose looks good. I can get a refund so no probs. If anyone has a clue let me know. I'll close the laptop now as I have to cook dinner. Hopefully you will get the payment ok.

Thanks Tony

Thanks, Tony. Please let me know how it goes as I am curious to know. Enjoy dinner.

Best regards,
Brandon
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Will do. Bye PS How do I contact you? my email is *****@******.***

If you click my name, you should get to my profile. You can ask me a new question from there if you need to. If you just want to let me know, reply to this page.

Brandon
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

OKbye for now

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi Brandon,

Don't know if you got my message but it seems that the spaced 360 doesn't like my windows 7 laptop even though its only 3 yrs old. I took it back and got a Bose mini. Brilliant bit of kit . Worked first time.

Again, thanks for your help.

Tony