IT Miro
IT Miro, Computer Scientist
Experience:  Bachelor's Degree in Information Technology, Microsoft Certified Professional
30721786

HI there, This is probably a silly question but please

Customer Question

HI there,
This is probably a silly question but please bear with me, and if you have an answer I will need it in real simple terms.
I have a laptop running Windows7 my wifes one runs XP. We live in a very remote area, so we have a very low internet speed - we cannot use both laptops at the same time as one will not connect and the other will struggle, and we only get a download of 100kps if we are lucky.
My wife needed a new laptop so I bought her a Packard Bell TE69 for her birthday. It runs windows 8.1, so I did some research first so I knew how to get started and then I loaded her photos and internet favourites from her old one to the new one.
However, even if it is the only computer running, connecting to the internet is very slow and 6 out of 10 times will simply say 'this website cannot be displayed'. The old laptop works fine with these favourites/bookmarks, but the new one cannot load them.
I have done the 'fix connection problems' and got no-where, and it struck me this morning that based on the very low speed we get, could it be that the apps in windows 8.1 are in fact taking all the internet ability that we get and so the IE11 will not run, just like before when if I used my Windows 7 she could not use her XP and vice versa?
If so, how do I switch off the apps so we get the maximum possible internet speed?
Category: Laptop
Expert:  IT Miro replied 2 years ago.

Hello! I am IT Miro and I will assist you on this question.

By default, Windows Updates is enabled and it contstantly looks for new updates. If you have ~100 kbps Internet speed, I recommend disabling Windows and then check the results.

Here are the instructions on how to disable Windows Update:

1. Access Desktop

2. Move a cursor to the bottom right corner and you will see a new pane. Click on the Settings icon and there select Control Panel

3. When the Control Panel window opens, click on the System and Security category and then click on Windows Update

4. The Windows Update window will open. Click on the Change settings option available on the left pane

5. Select Never check for updates (not recommended) and click OK

Now restart the computer and check if there are any changes.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I wll try this later this evening when I get home and let you know the outcome. However, if I set it as you suggest, does that stop all the apps updating too and what happens if I then click on one of those apps to use it?

Incidentally, the email every hour for the past 10 hours asking me to rate you does not really do you any favours.

Expert:  IT Miro replied 2 years ago.
Hi!

That is only for core Windows updates. Other programs (apps) use their own updater, but they usually contain small updates in contrast to big Windows updates files.

You can ignore those e-mails for now - they are being sent automatically...
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Okay I tried switching off windows updates, with little or no effect. It will connect to yahoo 7 out of 10 times if I use it for searching, then when I click on a search result it goes back to 'cannot display tis webpage'. When it does connect to a favourite/bookmarked page (5 out of 10 times) it takes up to 15 seconds to start loading the page.

I have tried resetting IE11 and uninstalling it and then re-installing it - still no different. I am sure its a problem because of our low signal, but I checked the task manager and nothing else is using the network except Pinku (or something like that, I am away from the machine now so cannot check) which is conected most of the time but I have no idea what it is but then is only running 0.1 speed.

Expert:  IT Miro replied 2 years ago.
If you have 2 computers connected at the same time, it won't be a stable connection. 100 kbps or less is barely enough for 1 computer.

Please check the network activity on the Windows 8.1 computer this way:

1. Start the Task Manager

2. Click on the Performance tab

3. At the bottom, click on Open Resource Monitor

4. When the Resource Monitor opens, click on the Network tab

5. In the Processes with Network Activity section, you can see all processes (programs and Windows components) that use the Internet connection

Please list them all here whenever you can and check if they are constantly using the Internet connection (Send and Receive numbers keep changing) or they disappear after from the list after some time (no constant Internet connection).
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I will check this later today when I can get access to the laptop.

I have seen a lot on the internet about a Hewlett Packard laptop having the same issue, and it was down to an app that P had put on their machines that, once removed, meant everything worked as normal speed. Is there anything on the Packard bell laptops in the same vein?

Expert:  IT Miro replied 2 years ago.
Hi!

Manufacturers may install some programs (apps) that could slow don't the computer. It depends from model to model and from store to store.

In case you see some of the programs you don't use or don't recognize, feel free to remove them. Here is how:

1. Access Desktop

2. Move the cursor to the bottom right corner and you will see a new pane. Click on the Settings icon and there select Control Panel

3. When the Control Panel window opens, click on Uninstall a program

4. It will open a list containing all installed programs on your computer. Check all programs on the list there and if you want to remove one or more, right-click on the program name and select Uninstall

5. Follow the instructions to complete the uninstall. When done, you can restart your computer

You can also check which of the installed programs have been added to the Windows Startup. To do that, start the Device Manager and then click on the Startup tab. Check all programs there. If you see unwanted or unknown programs, select them and click the Disable button. That action will disable those programs from auto-starting with Windows.

I hope this helps!

Regards,
IT Miro
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

okay, update on situation.

I spoke to Microsoft help desk, they suggested I try and load firefox by using a stick to get the download program and copying it to the new machine. I did this but it would not install until I switched off Norton antivirus. Then it installed, but whilst it works on specific web addresses that I type in, for instance if I type in www.amazon.co.uk then it goes to the page, albeit slowly compared to my other older laptops. However, if I type 'amazon' in the search box for google, it gives me the message that firefox cannot establish a connection to google.

As for IE11, there is no change in that it will not load except that now the message I get is :-

The proxy server is not responding. Check your proxy settings 127.0.0.1:50299. Go to tools>Internet options>connections.

I have looked there and can see nowhere about proxy settings.

I have checked the task manager, nothing is running constantly now.

Expert:  IT Miro replied 2 years ago.
Hi!

I am not sure how proxy settings can help since you have a slow Internet connection. However, you can check them anyway and disable proxy server if it is enabled. To do that, follow these instructions:

1. Access Desktop

3. When the Control Panel window opens, click on the Network and Internet category and then click on Internet Options

4. The Internet Options window will open. Click on the Connections tab

5. Click on the LAN settings button

6. Under the Proxy server section, un-check the check-box if it is checked, then click OK to save the changes

The main problem is that you probably have many programs installed that could use your Internet connection. You now mentioned Norton antivirus - by default, it uses automatic updates to download antivirus definitions (updates).

Next, you have Windows 8.1, which is more Internet-oriented operating system than Windows 7 and Windows XP. Its start screen comes with several components that constantly use Internet connection in order to receive up-to date information. For example, Weather app, Sports app, News app, Mail app, etc.

Having Internet speed of ~100 kbps is barely enough for those updates, and certainly not enough for uninterrupted browsing while those apps are running. What would help is when you connect your Windows 8.1 computer to the Internet, leave it for about 10-15 minutes until all programs (apps) update themselves. Once they are done, start Internet Explorer and hopefully, web browsing will be somewhat faster.

Regards,
IT Miro
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I do not even know what proxy settings are - I am just telling you what it says on my screen when I open IE11.

Expert:  IT Miro replied 2 years ago.
No problem - just follow the instructions in my last response and see the results. Make sure to leave the computer for about 15 minutes when connected to the Internet so all apps can be updated, then open a web browser and check if it gets any faster when opening web pages.

Regards,
IT Miro
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I followed your last set of instructions, and nothing changed, I still get the same message

Expert:  IT Miro replied 2 years ago.
Does it now happen for all web pages or only some of them?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I have managed to get Firefox to work, albeit very slowly, but when I try IE11 I just get the proxy message up all the time and it will not load anything

Expert:  IT Miro replied 2 years ago.
OK.

You can reset Internet Explorer settings to their default which should help solve the problem. To do that, follow these instructions:

1. While you are in Internet Explorer, click on the "settings" icon located in the upper right corner, next to the star icon, or you can press Alt+X keys simultaneously instead

2. A new menu will appear and once it does, click on Internet options

3. When the Internet Options window opens, click on the last tab - Advanced

4. There click on the Reset... button located at the bottom

5. After you have clicked it, click the new Reset button located at the bottom, without checking the Delete personal settings check-box

6. After that, Internet Explorer settings will reset to their defaults. Click Close and exit Internet Explorer

7. Wait for 5 seconds and then re-start Internet Explorer and check it that helped

Expert:  IT Miro replied 2 years ago.
Hi again!

Several days have passed since I provided an answer here, and you haven't replied, so I would like to know if my answer helped or you still require assistance?

If you do, don't hesitate to reply any time.

If my answer was helpful, please use the rating box with smiley buttons to rate the service I provided. Rating won't cost you anything extra, and it is a way to thank me for helping you.

Thanks!
IT Miro
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

no the rest did not work nor did uninstalling and re-installing. I have ended up buying a service contract from Microsoft, who fixed the computer by accessing it direct, albeit it took over an hour to do.

You were therefore unable to solve any of my issues, but I thank you for your politeness and efficiency at answering my messages.