JazzyJ72
JazzyJ72, IT Business Owner
Experience:  A+ Certification. Support Specialist including laptops
55485381

Hi Pete,I have an urgent problem and i am working with a

Customer Question

Hi Pete,
I have an urgent problem and i am working with a very slow technician. I see you have worked remotely for other customers and want to know if you can do that for me too. My problem is that up until 4 weeks ago i could search my emails for correspondence . Now i cant do that . I called microsoft and they cant help with apple macs. I called apple and they just say use the mac system / emails [ which does work to search emails]..but i am not used to that system and just want to be able to do what i did before.I don't know why this is happening. When my brother uses my laptop to search his emails it works fine. Its something with my email account i guess. I use outlook..but i have also used mozilla and it doesn't work there either. Please can you help me?
Category: Laptop
Expert:  Pete replied 2 years ago.
Pete :

Hi there!

Pete :

Thanks for requesting me.

Pete :

First, check through the following resolutions and let me know if any of the steps help:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2741535

JACUSTOMER-dq92mlxq- :

Hi Pete,i am not very good with computer language.What do i need to identify as the problem? You searched remotely so are aware of the issue and i just need the terminology.

Pete :

I can connect remotely if you wish, for an additional fee.

JACUSTOMER-dq92mlxq- :

Hi Pete,

Pete :

Hi!

JACUSTOMER-dq92mlxq- :

Another technician from this service connected remotely and doesn't know how to address the issue. Prior to that , a paid an independent service $100 to fix the issue, they couldn't. They told me to call microsoft. I called them and they said they cant work on apple laptops. I called apple and they said they couldn't help.So before i pay more money can you tell me if you have ever encountered an issue like mine.I cant search my emails for historical info . It sends an error message but no code. I use outlook. I was asked to see if the issue happened on another computer- it did. I was asked to use firefox - no change. I just cant search my emails.

Pete :

Yes I have seen this problem before.

Pete :

Do you know what all has already been tried?

Pete :

What terminology are you unsure of?

JACUSTOMER-dq92mlxq- :

What i tried- 2 experts have been into my email account remotely. They cant fix. The issue is i cant search emails.Is that the correct terminology? When you encountered issue before- was it fixed? what was issue?

Pete :

Yes, the issue I saw was resolved. It was caused by a corrupt Spotlight Search index

Pete :

The fix is in the link I supplied previously.

JACUSTOMER-dq92mlxq- :

I don't feel confident fix in the issue myself. If i pay you to do it remotely and you cant do it, like the other technician before you - will you refund my money?

JACUSTOMER-dq92mlxq- :

I will happily pay the 26 pounds if you agree to refund it if you don't fix the issue. i cant afford to keep paying and then not getting a refund because cant be fixed.

Pete :

Do you know what all has already been tried, in case I attempt the same fix again?

JACUSTOMER-dq92mlxq- :

No, they didn't tell me...all they said was i had to call microsoft.

JACUSTOMER-dq92mlxq- :

The last tech found a specialist in his company who said this "Go to System Preferences / Spotlight / Privacy drag your hard drive Macintosh HD to that window. Close Preferences. Then restrt and reopen System Preferences / Spotlight / Privacy and select Macintsh HD in that window and remove it by selecting the minus sign. Then go to Search Results tab and check all boxes. Give it some time to rebuild the databse and then see if you can now search in Outlook".

JACUSTOMER-dq92mlxq- :

I cant do that and i don't know if it will work.Is that what u were planning in doing?

Pete :

Yes, that is one of the checks I was planning to do.

JACUSTOMER-dq92mlxq- :

i am being told it a microsft issue. They already tried the above.

Pete :

Do you have all of the latest Microsoft patches installed?

JACUSTOMER-dq92mlxq- :

i don't know. I am willing to pay only of its fixed because i pay money upfront and then have such a hard time or loose it when the job is not fixed.

Pete :

Let me see if another expert can assist with this then.

JACUSTOMER-dq92mlxq- :

I have already tried medic mac and another on this site-

Pete :

Your question is open to all other experts now.

Expert:  JazzyJ72 replied 2 years ago.

I may be able to assist you further with this issue. I am a Certified Microsoft Partner and fluent in Mac/Windows/Parallels/Entourage setups. I strongly recommend removing your .plist files inside the MAC HD volume which will force the Spotlight Search function back to its default state.

How to remove applicationpreferences on your Mac

Most programs and services you run in OS X will save preferences to disk as a property list (.plist) file in your account’s hidden Library > Preferences folder. Since these files contain settings that are loaded and interacted with as the program is run, if a fault exists either in a specific setting or in the structure of the file itself, then a program may experience hangs, crashes, the inability to save and retrieve settings, or other odd behaviors.

To fix these problems if they crop up, a common recommendation is to remove the program’s associated preference file. These are located in your Library folder, which can be accessed by holding the Option key, clicking the Go menu in the Finder, and then choosing the Library from there. In the folder that opens, you can navigate to the Preferences directory and then locate and remove the property list that corresponds to the program you are using. These plist files are usually named after the developer and application names, so for instance, the preference file for Apple’s TextEdit program is called “com.apple.TextEdit.plist”

Preferences folder in the user library in OS X

The property lists for your applications’ preferences are stored in this folder.

There are several ways to remove these preference files, if needed. The first is to do so manually by dragging them to the trash and emptying the trash. However, if you have the name of the preference file (otherwise known as the application’s “domain”), then you can target this in the Terminal using the “defaults” command to delete the plist’s contents, or the plist itself:

1. Deleting the contents can be done with the following command:defaults delete DOMAIN

In this command, “DOMAIN” is the name of the preference file without the .plist suffix, such as “com.apple.TextEdit” for Apple’s TextEdit program.

2. Deleting the plist file itself can be done with the following command:sudo rm ~/Library/Preferences/DOMAIN.plist

In this command, again DOMAIN is the preferences file name; however, you are targeting the file itself so the .plist suffix is required. The use of “sudo” here is optional, but may be needed if a permissions error is preventing you from accessing the plist file.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi Jason,

Please can you help me remotely because i am not confident on laptop apart from sending and receiving emails.

I look forward to hearing back from you,

lauren

Expert:  JazzyJ72 replied 2 years ago.
sure thing...please give me a moment to clear everything off my plate
Expert:  JazzyJ72 replied 2 years ago.
I can assist you remotely but you would need to accept the additional services fee I sent over in order to view the contact information in order to proceed.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

i can accept it but can you help remotely or just by phone. If you can help me remotely i can pay more than 8 pounds.

Expert:  replied 2 years ago.
Yes I can remote into your system but you would have to contact me via phone to initiate this process...my contact info will be made available when you accept and FYI you have 14 minutes left total on this ticket...
JazzyJ72, IT Business Owner
Experience: A+ Certification. Support Specialist including laptops
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

ok i paid and accepted...what is your number? I am calling you from england so will need your full code

Expert:  JazzyJ72 replied 2 years ago.
See below for contact information
Expert:  JazzyJ72 replied 2 years ago.
012093229692