Pete
Pete, Computer Enthusiast
Experience:  Over 16 years of experience in the Electronics and IT industries.
30970729

Delicate one this. I have inherited my late brother's laptop

Delicate one this. I have inherited my late brother's laptop and cannot login as passwords for his other machine (both Dell Latitudes) do not work. I do not want to reset the laptop as I don't want to lose contact which may be stored on there e.g. photos. How do I go about accessing the laptop?
Category: Laptop
Expert:  Freddy M. replied 2 years ago.
.
Hello my name is***** look forward to assisting and am very sorry to hear that you are having this problem.
I want to warn you that I may have to give you bad news for an answer with this question.
The first thing I need to know is what version of windows is on it?
.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Did you receive my reply?

Expert:  Freddy M. replied 2 years ago.
.
No I did not can you send it again? Make sure you reply on this page, if you reply to the emails it does not go to anyone at all.
.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I realise there may be a problem with seeking advice on logging into a laptop that formerly wasn't mine, so if that is going to be the issue in resolving this remotely I'd obviously want to nip the query in the bud and not proceed with the service or payment. In any event, the laptop is a Latitude E7440.

Expert:  Freddy M. replied 2 years ago.
.
I can not remote on to the computer and remove the password ***** that is what you want us to do that simply is not possible. However I may be able to help you remove the password ***** But I need the version of windows on the laptop, the laptop model does not help as many can be shipped using different versions. It should say what version while starting up before the password *****
.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

OK, I'm fine with removing the password ***** if anything I do as a result of your advice also avoids losing any content on the laptop. I'm unfamiliar with the Windows version as the screen doesn't display which version at startup. The laptop presents three options to login - the users name, contactless and fingerprint. On selecting the former, "Type in your windows password" is presented but the background I suspect is not windows - just this box. Difficult.

Expert:  Freddy M. replied 2 years ago.
.
You did not mention it had a fingerprint lock before. Unfortunately that I can not help with so I will opt out for all experts in case anyone else can.
.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

No, I didn't, as this is just one of the three options to the user. It appears the Windows password ***** work in isolation rather than the user needing to pass all three secure checks. Anyway, I'll see if anyone else can assist. Thanks.

Expert:  Pete replied 2 years ago.
Hi there,
You can simply remove the hard drive from the laptop and use a disk caddy to access it on another computer.
You won't need any passwords to log in or access the content, provided it has not been encrypted.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thanks, ***** ***** was looking to be able to get around the password ***** disassembling the laptop, extracting hard drives, getting a disk caddy etc. Is there no clever bypass operation on the software - there seems to be suggestions of safe reboots and USB programme plug ins elsewhere on the Internet.
Expert:  Pete replied 2 years ago.
Removing the hard disk is the easiest way if you do not know the login password ***** it is relatively easy to remove, and does not require disassembling the laptop - they are designed for easy extraction.
There are bypass softwares available, with varying degrees of success, but would actually take more time to implement than removing the hard disk.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

OK, so if I went down this route (just watched hard drive extraction on YouTube) I'd need to connect the drive to another laptop to access contents - is this via the 'disk caddy' you refer to? Is the disk caddy an enclosure for the hard drive with ports to enable connectivity? Is this around the disk on the Latitude E7440 or do I need to source one? Additionally, are there other memory sources in the laptop (e.g. RAM) which could be holding user content that this won't solve for? Thanks.

Expert:  Pete replied 2 years ago.
Hi,There are no other memory sources that could hold user content - the RAM memory is used for temporary storage whilst the laptop is in use.Yes, the disk caddy is just an enclosure with ports to allow it to connect, similar to a USB flash drive. It won't already be around the hard disk - you will need to source it.There are many different types of disk caddy available that you can use:http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=ide+disk+caddy
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi, OK - I think we're nearly there. I appreciate the link to DC examples, but could you provide the spec's/advice on what type I'd need to get for a hard disk in a Latitude E7440, or identify one example DC that would work which I could use as a point of reference. And the same for a connection cable please. I think I'll then be able to close the request. Thanks.

Expert:  Pete replied 2 years ago.
You can get any of the examples I posted - the only spec you need to look for is that it is 2.5" IDE-compatible, since the Latitude E7440 uses a 2.5" IDE hard disk.
One specific example that comes with the cable is:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/DIGIFLEX-HARD-DRIVE-CADDY-ENCLOSURE/dp/B002UZRRXG
Pete, Computer Enthusiast
Experience: Over 16 years of experience in the Electronics and IT industries.