Charles A. Roberts
Charles A. Roberts, Computer Enthusiast
Experience:  Laptop repair specialist
46034742

I have a toshiba satellite C850-1C9. I had problems with it

I have a toshiba satellite C850-1C9. I had problems with it and did a full recovery on the machine. I do not have a boot up disc. The machine simply enters a 'media test failure' every tyime I opne it up. I have followed some advice on line forums and done the changes suggested - ie one bios to the other etc. No action! Help

also says 'No bootable device ' then asks for boot disc - not got one!

Category: Laptop
Expert:  Charles A. Roberts replied 2 years ago.
Hello my name is ***** ***** I will do whatever I possibly can to help answer your questions. I am so very this has happened to you, just to verify it is saying no bootable device and it says media test failure correct? Can you tell me what kind of problems you where having because so far that error is saying the hard drive has mechanicaly malfunctioned.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi - I was locked into a microsoft system trying to configure my system - been doing it for well over an hour - so I followed the forum advice to do a full system retore - and from ther on in all I get is the message about media test fail.

I see, and have you tried to trigger the recovery program again like you did previously and does it respond?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Do you mean going back to the full recovery programme and running it again - it took nearly 2 hours last evening!

Sorry - just realised I dont think I can do that because I cannot find a way of running that agin unless I am missing it!

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Sorry - just realised I dont think I can do that because I cannot find a way of running that again unless I am missing it!

Ok that answered another question it should not have taken 2 hours it should have taken less than 30 minutes. I am afraid what we are looking at is a hard drive crash. Which is why it took so long those problems you were having it was on the verge of crashing and failing. The two hours says it right there and the error message that you are getting. You are going to need to have the hard drive replaced or you would need to replace it and have Toshiba send you the new recovery software on disk. You would just need to turn it on load it into the drive and then restart so it can auto load. Again you would need to replace the hard drive first. Have you had this machine longer than a year?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I will have to check - I think I bought it Nov 2013 - so may be in with a chance!

Thanks for your time!

Carl

You are welcome, If you have any further questions, please feel free to let me know...
Please don't leave negative feedback, Positive Feedback and Bonuses are not expected, but are always appreciated! You will be getting a survey on my assistance and information It would be greatly appreciated to let my Superiors know how I am doing thank you and please try and have a good day.