jctservice
jctservice, Consultant
Experience:  I'm an experienced IT systems administrator and engineer.
70537868

I have a Dell Inspiron6400 running Windows Vista Home Premium

I have a Dell Inspiron6400 running Windows Vista Home Premium 32bit. It is supposed to go into sleep mode when the lid is closed and restart when the lid is opened. It seems to go into Sleep mode OK, because the screen goes blank and the power light and WiFi lights stay on.
Unfortunately, it doesn't restart when the lid is opened and I have to turn it off and back on again. This is just too time-consuming.
Category: Laptop
Expert:  jctservice replied 2 years ago.
jctservice :

Hi there! I'm Joey, and I'm happy to assist you today!

This is a relatively common occurence with Windows XP and WIndows Vista in my experience. What is usually happening is that the laptop is actually locking up -- either when trying to go to sleep, or when trying to wake up. Sometimes, updating your laptop's drivers (particularly the video driver and chipset/motherboard drivers) can help, sometimes it doesn't.

The other thing that may help would be adjusting the ACPI (Advanced Configuration and Power Interface) settings in your laptops BIOS. the settings vary from laptop to laptop, but are generally under the "power management" section on a Dell. You would to look for ACPI settings, and adjust the value, save, and reboot. try the close / open function again. Try for each ACPI value or combination of values until it works.

In my personal experience, i've usually found that some computers just don't do this function very well. Typically, when I find one that way, I'll set the laptop to "Do Nothing" when closing the lid, so that when I open the lid, the computer is up and ready to go without the hassle of a manual reboot.

Explore the steps above, and see if any of them help in your situation. Finally, you can update your BIOS to the latest version (also downloadable from the DELL website) -- there is a minimal chance updating your BIOS could crash your computer -- but i've never personally had an issue. After updating BIOS, you could try the power management / ACPI settings again.

Good luck! Sleep functions do work much better with newer computers and Windows 7 and 8. I've rarely seen issues with sleep in those OS's with newer computers. It can be problematic, as you've found, with older OS's and machines.

jctservice :

If you have any further questions, please feel free to let me know… Just reply here at any time.

Thank you and have a great day!

__________________________________________________________

Please give me a positive rating for my service if I have helped you today. Feel free to ask for JCTservice the next time you need computer help!

Customer: Hi Joey
Customer: Hi Joey.
jctservice :

hellow there, did you have any luck with the above troubleshooting steps?

Customer: Hi Joey. I've updated the drivers but with no improvement. I haven't tried adjusting the ACPI settings because I can't find them and the BIOS means nothing to me. I therefore decided to set the laptop to "Do Nothing" when closing the lid. Unfortunately this also has not changed the problem.
jctservice :

Glad you got the drivers update. So are you saying that with the "lid close" action set to "do nothing" on battery and when plugged in -- that with that the laptop still locks up when you close, then reopen the lid?

jctservice :

(BIOS, by the way, are the hardware settings for the machine, outside of windows. there is a special keypress to get to the settings while the computer is booting. no worries if you weren't able to do that -- looks like we have another issue anyway).

Customer: Hi Joey. I've updated the drivers but with no improvement. I haven't changed the ACPI settings because I can't find them and the BIOS means nothing to me. I therefore decided to set the laptop to "Do Nothing" when closing the lid. Unfortunately, this has made no change to the performance. Have you anything else you can suggest for me. Regards. Len
jctservice :

do you have an external monitor plugged in, or just the laptop scren?

Customer: Hi Joey. I've updated the drivers but with no improvement. I haven't changed the ACPI settings because I can't find them and the BIOS means nothing to me. I therefore decided to set the laptop to "Do Nothing" when closing the lid. Unfortunately, this has made no change to the performance. Have you anything else you can suggest for me. Regards. Len
jctservice :

Its possible there is another driver called ACPI Lid that may need updated. i'm looking now to see if can determine if that driver exists for your laptop

jctservice :

unfortunately I don't see any ACPI drivers available for your laptop. So you may have to try adjusting the BIOS power management settings. That is something we can't do remotely as it is prior to the computer booting.

jctservice :

when you first turn on your computer, there shoudl be text on the screen, something like "F10 for setup" -- you'll want to press the correct function key it mentions for "setup" or "bios" or "settings"

jctservice :

inside the BIOS there will be several options, and you'll have to use your arrow keys to navigate, and there will be further instructions on screen about how to change values within the BIOS

Customer: Hi Joey. I am having lots of problems contacting you. I don't know if it's anything to do with my using an iPad. I've just found your replies. For some reason they're not in consecutive order, but scattered amongst My questions and replies. I don't have a monitor plugged in, just the laptop screen. It's correct that with the "lid close" action set to "do nothing" on both battery and when plugged in, it still locks up
Our chat has ended, but you can still continue to ask me questions here until you are satisfied with your answer. Come back to this page to view our conversation and any other new information.

What happens now?

If you haven’t already done so, please rate your answer above. Or, you can reply to me using the box below.
Ok, i've switched us to Q&A mode, it may be easier for you to view here.
you should be able to scroll up and down on this page to see replies in order. It sounds like your computer has some ACPI (advanced power) issues, and may need to be adjusted in the BIOS as mentioned. feel free to try that. If you'd like further assistance, I can open this up to our other technicians to see they have additional ideas...
jctservice, Consultant
Experience: I'm an experienced IT systems administrator and engineer.