jctservice
jctservice, Consultant
Experience:  I'm an experienced IT systems administrator and engineer.
70537868

My Acer aspire p3 can't detect the battery why and can i fix

My Acer aspire p3 can't detect the battery why and can i fix it
Category: Laptop
Expert:  jctservice replied 2 years ago.
jctservice :

Hi there! I'm Joey, and I'm happy to assist you today!

jctservice :

when you say it doesn't detect the battery -- do you mean the computer shows no battery plugged in, or it turns off immediately if you unplug from power (or both)

jctservice :

also, is the the original battery, or a replacement battery

jctservice :

also, what does your battery LED do (on, off, blink, color)

Customer:

it does both of what your saying

Customer:

it wont charge and when you pull out the charger it cuts off the computer

jctservice :

thank you. I'm assuming this is the original battery, is that correct?

Customer:

the led is blinking orange

Customer:

yes it is the original battery but its new

jctservice :

Thanks. If the LED is blinking quickly orange -- that is supposed to mean that the keyboard battery is charging, and it should turn blue when that battery is charged

jctservice :

that is separate from the main tablet battery -- can you remove the device from the keyboard, and see if the LED changes

jctservice :

a "slow" orange blink means the main battery is low (and keyboard not plugged in/connected)

jctservice :

I apologize, those blinking patterns should actually be for the KEYBOARD battery LED. there is 2 on this device, one for the keyboard, one for the main device, according to Acer's documentation

Customer:

i have separated them and theres no change

jctservice :

ok, in that case, the orange blinking means "battery critically low or abnormal battery situation" -- which we already know

jctservice :

so, the LED behavior matches what you say

jctservice :

On a device that new, that is almost certainly a faulty battery. There aren't "drivers" for battery, or any special methods for battery detection.

Customer:

so theres nothing that can be done to fix the problem then

jctservice :

about the only other thing you can try, and it works better for devices with removable batteries:
1. shut down the machine
2. Unplug from the power adaptor / charger
3. press and hold the power button for 30-60 seconds. Of course the device won't turn on as the battery isn't working
4. plug back in to power. check the LED status before turning the machine on. Amber (steady) means charging, blue (steady) means fully charged. i'd expect your machine to still blink, or do nothing
5. turn the machine back on and see if there is any change in behavior

jctservice :

(on step 4, i don't think the LED will come on with the computer OFF anyway, so i would expect the LED to remain off until you turn the computer back on)

jctservice :

if all that makes no change in the battery, then it will be a faulty battery issue. We know your charger is ok, and your computer is able to receive power, as it works when its plugged in

Customer:

ok thanks for yor help

jctservice :

The device should have a 1 year warranty. If it has been less than 1 year since the purchase date, you'll want to contact Acer support directly and have them work out a repair or swap under warranty

jctservice :

Acer UK support can be contacted starting with their website, here:
http://www.acer.co.uk/ac/en/GB/content/support

jctservice :

If you have any further questions, please feel free to let me know… Just reply here at any time.

Thank you and have a great day!

__________________________________________________________

Please give me a positive rating for my service if I have helped you today. Feel free to ask for JCTservice the next time you need computer help!