jctservice
jctservice, Consultant
Experience:  I'm an experienced IT systems administrator and engineer.
70537868

my labtop went dead .i plugged into mains but nothing happ

my labtop went dead .i plugged into mains but nothing happening
Category: Laptop
Expert:  jctservice replied 2 years ago.
jctservice :

Hi there! I'm Joey, and I'm happy to assist you today!

jctservice :

So your battery ran out of power, and now after plugging in to main power it still isn't coming on, is that correct?

Customer:

yes

jctservice :

ok, thank you. Lets try this procedure first:

jctservice :

unplug the AC power cord from the laptop, then remove the battery.

While the battery is out, and the cord unplugged, press and hold the power button on the laptop for 30 full seconds. You won’t see anything happen, but this will drain an remaining voltage from motherboard.

Once you’ve done that, plug in the AC power adaptor, leave the battery unplugged, and press the power button normally to turn the laptop back on.

jctservice :

let me know if that brings the laptop back to life

Customer:

no change

jctservice :

ok. go ahead and re-insert the battery, then press the power button normally and let me know if you get any lights or beeps

Customer:

nothing completely dead

jctservice :

ok, sounds like you may have an issue with the power adaptor -- make sure of course you are plugged into a working outlet that is on (easy ste

jctservice :

p)

jctservice :

but also, check the cord where it plugs into the power "brick" unplug and replug the cord into that adaptor

Customer:

yes outlet ok plugged in other device to check. checked cord ,no change

jctservice :

Ok. was the computer plugged in when it died, or on battery

Customer:

the computor was plugged in ,but pulledhalf out of socket and used up the battery before i noticed plug

jctservice :

there are a couple possibilities here... You could have a failed power adaptor, which isn't allowing your computer to turn on, or charge the battery. Or, you could have a bad power jack inside the computer, which isn't allowing power into the computer, even if the power adaptor IS working.

Normally, A frozen/locked up computer would still show some sort of lights or beeps when plugging in and/or trying to turn on. Since you get NOTHING, this usually indicates one of the above.

if you have a voltmeter, and basic electrical knowledge, you could test the power supply to see if it is giving you good voltage. If it is, you may have a bad jack in the computer. If the power adaptor give no voltage, or not the correct voltage, then that is the likely source of your issue.

If you had another power adaptor to test, that would be a good test too -- but you'd want to make sure it had the exact same voltage/wattage specs -- from the same or similar laptop

jctservice :

if you have a bad jack in the computer, it would need to be repaired by a technician, or replaced. depending on the laptop design, that can range from moderate to difficult if you try to do it yourself. they are often soldered directly on the motherboard

jctservice :

my recommendation would be to have a technician look at your laptop in person to determine the exact cause -- or, you could try to purchase a replacement power adaptor specific for your laptop and see if that resolves your problem

Customer:

ok thank you

jctservice :

If you have any further questions, please feel free to let me know… Just reply here at any time.

Thank you and have a great day!

__________________________________________________________

Please give me a positive rating for my service if I have helped you today. Feel free to ask for JCTservice the next time you need computer help!

jctservice, Consultant
Experience: I'm an experienced IT systems administrator and engineer.