Viet - Computer Tech
Viet - Computer Tech, Other
Experience:  Ten years of computer software and hardware support; Windows 10 8 7 Vista XP & Mac.
30037186

I have an aspire acer laptop and reason the internet

I have an aspire acer laptop and for some reason the internet function google chrome has stopped working? If you put a website address in it thinks about it and then says this web page is not available. In the explanation it says google chrome could not load the web page because xxx took too long to respond. The error code is ERR_CONNECTION_TIMED_OUT. My internet is definitely working as all the other devices are working and the email is still working on the laptop.
I would be so grateful if you could help me sort this problem
Many thanks.
Category: Laptop
Expert:  Viet - Computer Tech replied 1 year ago.

Hello Rachel! Thank you for your question. I am a licensed computer professional with over ten years of experience, and I will be assisting you today.

I'm sorry about the issue. Does the laptop have windows xp, vista, or 7, or 8?

Is Internet Explorer (the big 'e' program icon) still working on the laptop?

Please reply at the box below. Thank you.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
In the PC settings it says it's windows 8.1.
Weirdly I can't see the internet explorer e sign any more on the laptop.
Hope this helps
Rachel
At the Start screen mode, type internet explorer the open it and check.

Or press at the same time the two keys Windows and R on the keyboard, then type iexplore then click OK, then check.

Please let me know. Thank you.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Oh that's interesting it now says googke chrome has crashed - shall I relaunch it?
Rachel
You're welcome. Don't open Google Chrome for now. Just open Internet Explorer to check it. Please let me know. Thank you.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Still not working. Doesn't like the search engine google.co.uk either.
Rachel
Sorry, were you able to open the program Internet Explorer with my steps? Please let me know. Thank you
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No it didn't work with the steps you suggested. It tries to launch but just says the page can't be displayed.
Rachel
Sorry, that was not a solution; I was checking if another internet browser program is working on your computer or not. Please try a possible fix below:

Close Google Chrome and Internet Explorer for now.

- Go to Control Panel -> Network and Internet -> Internet Options

(or press at the same time the two keys Windows and R on your keyboard, then type inetcpl.cpl then click OK in order to get Internet Options.)

, then click on the Connections tab

, then click on LAN Settings

, then make sure all the boxes are unchecked

, then click OK, OK.

, then see if Chrome and/or Internet Explorer works now.

That is just one possible solution. Please reply back, so I can provide another solution if it does not work. Thank you.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I've unchecked all the boxes but not working as yet.
Rachel

Sorry, please try this:

1. Swipe in from the right edge of the screen, and then tap Search.
    (If you're using a mouse, point to the upper-right corner of the screen, move the mouse pointer down, and then click search.)

2. Enter Control Panel in the search box, and tap or click Control Panel.

3. Enter Recovery in the Control Panel search box, and then tap or click Recovery.

4. Tap or click Open System Restore, and then follow the instructions to restore the computer to the date before this issue first occurred.

When you are available, please click on the Reply to Expert tab below, and reply back to me, so we can continue. Thank you,

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
All done and all working - thank you so much!
Rachel

You're welcome. Great. If there is issue in the future, notice if there is any update or any change on the computer recently, then let me know, so I can help again as needed. Also, can you please take a moment to rate my service by clicking on a face icon / service option below, then click on Submit when it shows up. Thank you very much for your patience.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
You have been very helpful - I will definitely rate you in a moment.
I have noticed that links in my email to websites aren't loading up? If I copy and paste the URL it works but not by clicking on the link - any thoughts?
Rachel

Is there any error or message when clicking on links in emails?

What is the name of the program do you use for email, such as Outlook, Mail, Google Chrome, Windows Live Mail, etc.?

Please let me know. Thank you.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No no error just nothing happens - it's not connecting to the internet,
I use windows mail.
Rachel

Close email
, then go to Control Panel -> Programs -> Default Programs
, then click on Set your default programs
, then click on Google Chrome in the list on the left
, then click on Set this program as default on the right
, then open links in email and check.

Note: to go to Control Panel, type control panel at Start screen mode, then click on Control Panel

, or press at the same time the two keys Windows and R on the keyboard, then type control then click OK.

Please let me know. Thank you.

Viet - Computer Tech, Other
Experience: Ten years of computer software and hardware support; Windows 10 8 7 Vista XP & Mac.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
You are a star - thanks!
I have given you your rating! Thank you so much for all your help.
I will definitely recommend your service.
You're welcome. Great. If you need help with anything else, please come back any time. Thank you again.