Joe-S
Joe-S, Systems Specialist
Experience:  Systems Administrator at Fortune 50 Company
68269981

What laptop to invest in draughting. Autocad LT (2D)

What laptop to invest in for CAD draughting. Autocad LT (2D) Sketchup. Large screen is important but also consider taking a monitor along if working temp in an office
Category: Laptop
Expert:  Joe-S replied 2 years ago.
Hello and welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I will be helping you today.

Since there are so many options out there, I don't think it's wise for me to just throw out suggestions without discussing some details with you. There's pro's and con's with every laptop. What we should do is consider your needs and preferences and then determine which laptop fits best. We will also need to consider your budget of course.

If you want to stick with a name brand running Windows, there is HP, Dell, Toshiba, ASUS and many others. There is chipsets to consider like Intel or AMD. Video chipsets is a huge factor in picking a computer for CAD. Many chipsets now offer the ability to connect multiple displays as well as having the power to drive high resolution graphics including animation. There is also Apple Macbooks which are highly rated for graphics and video applications. As you can expect each manufacturer has different levels of laptops based on your needs. They can cost anywhere from a few hundred dollars (Euro's) to a few thousand.

If you tell me your budget, I will be happy to point you to a few models that I would consider. But as I said, everyone's preferernces are different.

If you wish to talk live, I can arrange that, however there would be an additional charge for that service. I am in the U.S. (California), so we would have to coordinate a good time. Otherwize, simply reply back and we can discuss your options.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi Thank you for your attention. I have considered teh HP Envy in the UK at £900 with touch screen.

The trouble is a sometimes work from other peoples offices and so need something more mobile but I still need a big screen.

The UK is much more expensive for hardware I understand.

£1000 is my budget really

Expert:  Joe-S replied 2 years ago.

I suspect you are looking at the HP Envy 17-k201na.
http://store.hp.com/UKStore/Merch/Product.aspx?id=ECC_BUNDLE_4900509&opt=&sel=PCNB

It has plenty of good features compared to the others in its class. One tradeoff you will have with a laptop with a screen of that size is that it will add significant weight to the laptop. The 17" screen is large but very useful if you don’t have an external display to plug it into.

HP is well known for their service and support. I use HP product both home and at work and have always been happy with their products.

If you want to look at a comparable product from Dell, look at their Inspiron 7000 series.: http://www.dell.com/uk/business/p/inspiron-17-7746-laptop/pd?oc=bn74604&model_id=inspiron-17-7746-laptop

Dell also has a good reputation in quality and support.

One last manufacture that I always recommend is ASUS. They do not have a product that’s an exact match as the Dell or HP, but I have always liked their product line. Looking at their laptops with 17" screens, their tradeoff is less powerful CPU. But their prices are generally lower. They don’t sell directly, but prices can be obtained from most online retailers. I like Tiger Direct and Newegg.

As I said initially, for CAD and drafting, you want a good graphics chipset. NVidia and ATI (aka AMD) make good chipsets. You will want to stay away from integrated graphics for what you need. RAM is important too. You should look for at least 8GB RAM. Beyond that it’s just a matter of aesthetics and comfort.

In summary, I don’t think you can go wrong with either one of these. Both are reputable companies that have good warrantees and support.

I hope that helps. Please let me know if you have other questions.

Regards,

Joe