Richard, Computer Engineer
Experience:  Over 15 years of consulting to the IT industry
32989067

My Toshiba Satellite L500-1XL is showing the "plugged in but

Customer Question

My Toshiba Satellite L500-1XL is showing the "plugged in but not charging" message. The battery is now dead but before the charge ran out my laptop wouldn't work when unplugged even though it showed 60% charge. Shouldn't it have still worked as long as there was some power in the battery?
I don't want to buy a new battery if that is not the problem.
Your advice would be most welcome.
***** *****
Category: Laptop
Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for your question, my name is ***** ***** I look forward to assisting you.
Please note, click on Reply to Expert to reply to me, a rating is only needed when we are finished.
Just to check as it is not clear, is the Laptop starting at the moment?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Yes, as long as it's connected to the mains

Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
Remove the battery and the power cable
Then hold the power button down for 60 seconds, then release.
Connect the battery and power cable wait 10 minutes for some charging, then try running it on only the battery.
Let me know the results please
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Do I need to close all before I shut down?

Also, when I knock off the mains power the laptop shuts immediately and when I restart I get the message that My machine wasn't shut down properly.

Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
yes please, close everything and shut it down so it is completly off.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

As before, laptop starts OK when plugged in but the moment I remove the mains lead it shuts down immediately. No life whatsoever unless plugged in. Battery Icon is showing 0% available (plugged in, not charging) I really need some reassurance that a new battery will resolve the problem before I purchase one.

Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
It will Peter, it can be residue power that can cause this but we have just ruled this out.
We also know its not the mainboard else it would not start at all.
It is the battery that has failed, replacing this will resolve the issue. I can confirm that.
If you would like any additional information or assistance, please do not hesitate to let me know.
And if you can take a second to rate my service, that would be greatly appreciated.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I gave a rating of excellent but would still like to know why the laptop wouldn't work off battery alone when it showed over 60% full. As soon as I disconnected from the main it shut down? I haven't bought a new battery yet. Still not 100% sure that will sort it!

Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
It will be the battery was shorting out when releasing power Peter.
While the Laptop had another power supply it could interact with the battery but shorted the battery when it started to draw power.