Richard, Computer Engineer
Experience:  Over 15 years of consulting to the IT industry
32989067

How do i fix black screen of death on toshiba satelite c660d

How do i fix black screen of death on toshiba satelite c660d laptop?
Category: Laptop
Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for your question, my name is ***** ***** I look forward to assisting you.
Please note, click on Reply to Expert to reply to me, a rating is only needed when we are finished.
Are you hearing any fans or noises from the Laptop when you try to start it?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Hi. Yes i can hear the fan n i start up my laptop then the fan stopsthe screen goes black and a message comes on screen from windows boot manager saying "windows has encountered a problem communicating with a device connected to your computor.
This error can be caused by unplugging a removable storage device such as an external USB drive while the device is in use, or by faulty hardware such as ahard drive or CD-ROM drive that is failing. Make suse any removable storage properly connected and then sestart your computor.
If you continue to receive this error message, contact the hardware manufacturer.
File: \Boot\BCD
status OxcOOOOOe9
Info An unexpected I/O error has accured.
I press ENTER to continue and the laptop restarts.
Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
Thanks John
Can you disconnect everything from the Laptop, including the power cable, external monitor, usb sticks, external mouse ect and tell me if it then starts please.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Yes it starts up.
Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
ok, so one of these connected devices is faulting and causing the issue John.
Then leave this disconnected and the Toshiba will be ok.
If you have continued problems, or would like any additional information or assistance, please do not hesitate to let me know.
And if you can take a second to rate my service, that would be greatly appreciated.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Nothing connected to laptop. It starts up then screen goes black and a message i previously mentioned comes on screen from boot manager. Problem accured since i unplugged USB lead while in use.
Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
Sorry John but getting confused here
I gave a set of instructions and you replied
"Yes it starts up."
What then did you mean with that message?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Sorry. When i turn on the laptop the toshiba logo comes on and the fan comes on briefly then stops then screen goes black then error message comes on screen from windows boot manager. I have tried toshiba repair disk but nothing happens.
Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
ok, remove the battery and leave this out, then try to start it with just the power cable.
What then happens?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Same problem accurs.
Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
status OxcOOOOOe9 refers to a memory issue and we have ruled out any power problems that can cause this John.
It is going to be either the hard drive, memory or motherboard that has faulted. It is a hardware problem.
I am really sorry about this and you are going to have to return the laptop to have a hardware diagnostics performed, the faulting component identified and then replaced. It will be covered by the warranty if this has not expired, and the replacement will be done at no cost to you.
I am really sorry about this, and if you have problems, or would like any additional information or assistance, please do not hesitate to let me know.