Pete
Pete, Computer Enthusiast
Experience:  Over 16 years of experience in the Electronics and IT industries.
30970729

I have got a toshiba l50--1du laptop,intel core i3, 6gb,windows

Customer Question

i have got a toshiba l50-b-1du laptop,intel core i3, 6gb,windows 8.
when swithed on the toshiba logo comes up and then after 2 minutes "preparing automatic repair" message comes up. after 7 mins the message disappears and a blank screen appears and after that nothing happens.so i cant boot up
Category: Laptop
Expert:  Pete replied 2 years ago.
Hi there,How old is the laptop?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

less than 1 year. i have just got a message on my screen to choose an option.1. continue,2.use a device,3.troubleshoot,4. turn off pc

Expert:  Pete replied 2 years ago.
Ok, please try option 3 - Troubleshoot
Expert:  Pete replied 2 years ago.
If the problem persists, then try pressing Shift + F8 at power on and you may get into Safe Mode.Or if you have access to another machine running Windows 8, you can create a recovery media. A small USB flash drive would suffice, the files only require around 250 Mb. Type 'Recovery' at the Start Screen on the other Windows 8 computer and choose Create a Recovery Drive from Settings. Uncheck the box for Recovery Partition if you have little space, ie small USB flash or CD. Once created, insert the USB drive into the failed laptop and change the boot order in BIOS accordingly, USB boot or DVD/CD . Once booted up using the recovery drive, go to Advanced Options and try Recovering to an earlier date, or from the Command Prompt try sfc /scannow followed by enter
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

i went on advanced options, command prompt.double clicked on accont but its frozen.

Expert:  Pete replied 2 years ago.
Did you get the recovery disk created ok?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

sorry is it a message you talking about.i have not seen this message nor have got a recovery disc

Expert:  Pete replied 2 years ago.
You will need to create the recovery disk on a USB memory stick first before you can use the Advanced Options to recover the laptop.See the instructions I posted previously.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

my other desktop pc has windows 7 on it

Expert:  Pete replied 2 years ago.
Ok, is it possible for you to use a friend's computer to create the recovery disk?
Expert:  Pete replied 2 years ago.
Or send the laptop back to the supplier to have it restored, if it is still under warranty.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

ok i will ask a friend to create a recovery disc for me.give me instructions of how to create a recovery disc.hold on i have just got the command promt page.i typed in sfc / scannow and i have got a list of commands including verifyfile, scanfile etc

Expert:  Pete replied 2 years ago.
You will need to launch the recovery disc and go to Advanced Options before typing in sfc /scannow
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

do you mean that i will have to create a recovery usb flash drive from another computer as you have mentioned earlier.

Expert:  Pete replied 2 years ago.
Yes that is correct.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

please bear with me until i get a recovery flash drive from my friend and i will be in touch

Expert:  Pete replied 2 years ago.
That's ok, take as long as you need :)
Note that we can still continue to communicate even after you rate my service today.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

hello pete

trust me i will rate you and will not let you down.i have just asked a friend to do me a recovery f/drive. please bear with me

Expert:  Pete replied 2 years ago.
That's ok, thanks for the update.
The reminders are automatic :)
You can of course reply back on this question page at any time, even after rating my service.
Pete.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

hello pete

i have now got a recovery drive, but nothing seems to happen. i restarted my laptop, selected advanced options, re-image your computer.another window came up -add drivers-insert installation media for the device and click ok to select the driver

there is another window showing options such as desktop,system,this pc, downloads,recovery (c),boot,boot(x),system 32

is there anything we can try

Expert:  Pete replied 2 years ago.
With the recovery drive booted, go to Advanced Options and try Recovering to an earlier date, or from the Command Prompt try sfc /scannow followed by Enter.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

from command prompt verification 100% complete.the system file repair change will take effect after the next reboot.whats next pete

Expert:  Pete replied 2 years ago.
After rebooting, are you able to go to Advanced Options and try Recovering to an earlier date?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

sorry how do i reboot

Expert:  Pete replied 2 years ago.
Press and hold the power button to turn the laptop off, then boot it up again.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

after rebooting,advanced options,system restore

message -to use system restore,you must specify which windowss installation to restore. restart ,select an oprating sys.

seems like i cant restore to an earlier time.other options are-sys.image recovery

-start up repair

-command prompt

-uefi firmware setting

Expert:  Pete replied 2 years ago.
If you cannot restore to an earlier then then you will need to do a complete system restore.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Ok how do I do a complete restore when you get a message as in me previous reply.
Expert:  Pete replied 2 years ago.
Select option sys.image recovery.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

hello pete.selected sys.image recovery-windowscannot find a sys.image on this computer.selected adv.-search for sys.image on the network.

-install a drive.what can i do

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

hello pete. i have rated you as promised, but it has not solved my problem. please reply me.thanks