Viet - Computer Tech
Viet - Computer Tech, Other
Experience:  Ten years of computer software and hardware support; Windows 10 8 7 Vista XP & Mac.
30037186

Richard I have a toshiba laptop and I stupidly reset it

Hi Richard I have a toshiba laptop and I stupidly reset it to factory settings and now when I switch it on I choose English for the language but it just comes up with a box saying windows could not complete the installation can u help
Category: Laptop
Expert:  Viet - Computer Tech replied 2 years ago.

Hello Kevin! Thank you for your question. I am a licensed computer professional with over ten years of experience, and I will be assisting you today.

I'm sorry about the issue. Does your Toshiba laptop have windows xp, vista, or 7, or 8?

Do you need any data from the laptop?

You said you tried restarting again refreshing. Can you please tell me the steps you tried for refreshing when it asks for the administrator password?

Is it okay to reset the laptop fresh, so you can re-set it up fresh with a new password ***** want?

Please reply at the box below. Thank you.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Hi Richard thanx for replying my computer has windows 8 I don't have any data I need ,when I try to restart it it just does the same thing asks me what language I want to use.yes it would b okay to reset the computer.
You're welcome. Actually, Richard is not here; I'm tech Viet; I will be helping you right now.

When does it ask you for the administrator password? At which step?

Did this laptop originally come with windows 8 (or did it come with windows 7, etc., then you upgraded to windows 8)?

Can you turn off, then turn on, then right away, keep tapping quickly and repeatedly the key F12 on the keyboard, then do you see anything new?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
It asks me for the administrator password ***** I go to system restore The computer came with windows 8.ive done wat u said with f 12 and on the top of screen it's got a boot menu
Thank you. Was there any other option besides system restore? You cannot get to the system restore option any more right?

After pressing key F12, can you please tell me all the options at the Boot menu?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
The boot menu has got number 1 had/ssd number 2 usb number 3 odd number 4 lan then underneath it's got enter set up then under that it's got hdd recovery.when I get to system restore there is also options for system image recovery,automatic repair,command prompt,urging firmware settings and start up settings
Thank you. Can you please select the HDD Recovery option, and confirm. Then select the Troubleshoot option, then select the Reset your PC option. Please let me know. Thank you.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I've selected the hdd recovery button and there's a blue box and it says the hard drive recovery process has been selected. Please choose yes if you are sure that you want to continue so I've pushed yes then chose the language and I've got 5 options which I've had before one says continue to windows 8 on volume 5 the next says use a device the next says use another operating system the next says trouble shoot and the last says turn off your PC
Yes, please select option Troubleshoot, then select option Reset your PC and confirm. Also, when prompted, select option "Just remove files." Please let me know. Thank you.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thanx I've had this up before it says choose a target windows 8 volume 5 or windows 8 volume 4 I've chosen windows 8 volume 5.its now asking me do I want to remove the drive where windows is installed or all drives which will I choose thanx
Try remove the drive where windows is installed. Thank you.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
It's asking if I want to just remove my files which will take a few moments or clean the drive fully which will take more time
Please select Just remove my files. Thank you.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
It's resetting I will let you know what happens I think I may have already tried this.i don't know what I've done ha I think I've broke it
OK, please take your time, then let me know the result later. Thank you.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Hi Richard the computer reset itself up to 79 percent then started up and it's just brought up the options windows 8 volume 5 or windows 8 volume 4 again then that went off itself and its just asking me what language I want
What happens when you select the language now? Thank you.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
It's just brought the box up saying windows could not complete the installation.to install windows on this computer restart the installation thanx
Sorry. Can you try windows 8 volume 4 this time? Thank you.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
It's brought the page up with troubleshoot on and other things what I mentioned earlier
Please try similar steps like previously, thanks.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Have tried resetting again and it's just went to 79 percent again then restarted and just done same as before any more ideas thanx

I'm sorry; the recovery partition is corrupted. Can you get the recovery media from Toshiba:

http://www.toshiba.co.uk/innovation/generic/computing-support/

; click on CONTACT US at the bottom right.

https://support.toshiba.com/repair