Wes
Wes, Consultant
Experience:  15+ years experience with laptop support issues
63083622

How do I connect Navman 900 gps aerial to laptop running seapro

how do I connect Navman 900 gps aerial to laptop running seapro navigation software for windows 7
Category: Laptop
Expert:  adamd-mod replied 2 years ago.

Hello there,

Please note, I am just a moderator for this category, I can only try and find experts to help, I can't answer the question itself.

Adam

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thank you Adam, yes I will wait for an answer.

Regards Keith

Expert:  adamd-mod replied 2 years ago.

We will continue to look for a Professional to assist you.

Adam

Expert:  Wes replied 2 years ago.
What is the exact model number for the equipment you are using?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

The GPS aerial is a Navman 900 tracker.

The laptop runs windows 7 Pro

The software is Euronav seaPro 3000 standard series

Expert:  Wes replied 2 years ago.

Have you made a cable to connect from the Tracker 900 to the computer? You will need to use a serial cable (with a serial port on the laptop), not a USB (unless you're using a USB-to-Serial Adapter). If you try to connect directly from the 900 to wires on a USB cable you'll likely blow the USB ports up on your laptop.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Ok lets see:-

the set up I have was supplied in total by Euronav comprising

AIS usb,

Navtex usb,

Gps usb, (which is not ideal as its mounted by the chart table not outside)

there is a serial to USB driver installed on the laptop, all the above are connected through a powered hub.

The Navman tracker 900 chartplotter/GPS is no longer in use, so I was hoping to use the GPS from this and connect it to the laptop via existing usb hub.

The Navman tracker 900 GPS is now powered from a separate 12v supply and already supplies the VHF radio with NMEA signal using Green & Ground wires from the GPS.

On attaching the same wires to a usb plug (red disconnected) I was hoping to get a result, but not so

Expert:  Wes replied 2 years ago.
Attaching those wires to USB plug directly won't work. You *might* be able to build a serial cable to do it, but the problem is there isn't a whole lot of information available on the 900s anymore. If you still have the manual for it, it may show you the wiring diagram for the NMEA cable. You may be able to use that with the info available on Euronav's site here: http://www.euronav.co.uk/eurohelp/techdocs/TN001.htm to build a cable. One thing's for sure you won't be able to just wire it into USB because they work on entirely different principles.
Wes, Consultant
Experience: 15+ years experience with laptop support issues