Viet - Computer Tech
Viet - Computer Tech, Other
Experience:  Ten years of computer software and hardware support; Windows 10 8 7 Vista XP & Mac.
30037186

Acer E1-571 says No bootable device. Hit any key.

Category: Laptop
Expert:  Viet - Computer Tech replied 1 year ago.

Hello Nick! Thank you for your question. I am a licensed computer professional with over ten years of experience, and I will be assisting you today.

I'm sorry about the issue. Can you confirm the Acer laptop has windows 7? Or another windows version?

Was the laptop dropped or bumped recently?

Can you power off the laptop, then turn it back on, then right away, keep pressing the key F12 and see if it shows a Boot menu there? If yes, please let me know the item(s) it shows there.

If needed, try F2 key to see if it goes to BIOS / Setup menu.

Please reply at the box below. Thank you.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hi Viet.

Windows 8

Yes, dropped several inches onto my desk.

f12 shows nothing except the original message 'No bootable Device. Hit any key'

Thank you. So after it was dropped, the laptop just stops working?

Please press & hold the power on/off button on the laptop for about 7 seconds until it power off
, then turn it back on, then press & release the key F12 quickly and repeatedly for many times
, then do you see anything differently?

If no, please do the same steps again, but using key F2 this time. Please let me know. Thank you.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I have sent the reply to this. Did you get it or are you waiting for me?

Nick

I'm sorry, it looks like your reply has not gone through. Please send your reply again. You can see if your reply has gone through or not by scroll up / down this web page. Please only reply at the box below on this web page. Thank you.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

F12 does nothing.

F2 produces the InsydeH20 SetUp Utility. The options on this across the top are

Information Main Security Boot Exit

Nick

Thank you. ***** Utility, please select the Boot option, then let me know all the device model(s) there, such as the cd/dvd drive model, the hard disk drive (hdd) model, etc. Please reply at the box below. Thank you.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thank you Viet.

Options

1. HDD

2. ATAP I CDROM

3. USB FDD

4. Network Bott IPV4

5. USB HDD

6. USB CDROM

7. Network Boot IPV6

You're welcome. The laptop has a cd/dvd drive right? Check the item 2. ATAPI CDROM, does it show a model?

, then check the item 1. HDD, does it show a model?

If needed, check Information and/or Main to see if there is any device model.

Please let me know. Thank you.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

HDD - WDC WD5000LPVX-22V0-TT0

CD Rom - HL-DT-ST DVDRAM GT90N

Thank you. The hard disk drive (HDD) model is showing, but it could be damaged from the drop and/or it may just be loose. Please try the followings:

- Remove the power cord, and the battery at the back of the laptop:

, then remove the cover at the bottom of the laptop:

, then remove the hard drive:

, then re-connect the hard drive securely

, then replace the cover, and reinstall the battery

, then turn it back on and check.

- If needed, you can watch the instruction video at the website below for how to remove the hard drive:

https://youtu.be/SZKOM87Ho78?t=66

; see starting at the minute 1:06 to 1:48.

Please let me know. Thank you.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Sadly, no joy. Reassembled.

I'm sorry. Do you have the windows 8 dvd disk or windows 8 USB flash drive?

How old is the laptop? Is it still under warranty?

Please let me know. Thank you.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Out of warranty and I don't remember a USB drive with Windows on it.

I am a school teacher and I think I will ask the IT guy to try to sort the problem. Irritatingly he will not appear until Thursday as he is on holiday.

Thanks for your help.

You're welcome. Sorry about that. The IT tech would need to have the Windows media first in order to troubleshoot further. If you need help with anything else, please come back any time. Also, can you please take a moment to rate my service by clicking on a face icon / service option below, then click on Submit when it shows up. Thank you very much for your patience
Viet - Computer Tech, Other
Experience: Ten years of computer software and hardware support; Windows 10 8 7 Vista XP & Mac.