Viet - Computer Tech
Viet - Computer Tech, Other
Experience:  Ten years of computer software and hardware support; Windows 10 8 7 Vista XP & Mac.
30037186

How can I copy the contents of a hard drive froma failing laptop

Customer Question

How can I copy the contents of a hard drive froma failing laptop onto a new laptop simply.
Category: Laptop
Expert:  Viet - Computer Tech replied 2 years ago.
Hello! Thank you for your question. I am a licensed computer professional with over ten years of experience, and I will be assisting you today.

Do you have windows xp, vista, or 7, or 8, or mac computer? Please let me know both computers.

Do you have an external USB hard drive?

Please let me know. Thank you.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Yes I do

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

And using Windows 7

Can you plug in the external USB drive to the old computer, then transfer folders you want. Like opening the Documents folder, then transfer everything in it to the external drive. Do the same for the Pictures folder. Then plug the USB drive to the new computer, then transfer.

And/or you can use the free FBackup software to back up data on the old computer, then restore them on the new computer:

http://www.fbackup.com/

Please let me know. Thank you.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thank you. I will try this. If I have a problem I will come back to you.

You're welcome. Also, I only credit for my work here if you rate my service, so please get back to me whether it's successful or not. If not, I will help further. And please rate my service for helping with other issues also, such as iPod, Facebook video /download, etc. on previous questions. Or if you still need help with any issue, then please reply back. Thank you.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi.... It's the applications, exe files etc that she needs so that he downloaded programes can be installed on the new laptop.

You need to transfer the original downloaded files (or use software disks and/or download from the Internet again) in order to install on the new laptop. Thank you.