A. Stevens
A. Stevens, Computer Engineer
Experience:  10+ years of Desktop, Laptop, and Server troubleshooting and support.
71208907

I have an Acer Aspire S3 notebook. When I try to boot up,

I have an Acer Aspire S3 notebook. When I try to boot up, the Acer logo appears and the fan makes a noise, but the screen goes blank except for the pointer (which I can move). I've had the problem before and just gone into safe mode, which sorted it without even changing any of the settings. Now, though, the Acer logo appears before I gave any time to get into safe mode. HELP!
Category: Laptop
Expert:  A. Stevens replied 2 years ago.
Hi, I am A. Stevens here to help with your question! Could you tell me what operating system you have on the notebook? How are you accessing safe mode? Using the F8 key?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I'm on Windows 8. I've tried both F8 and F2 (usually it's F2 on this machine).
I see, and now when you hit it on bootup it does not do anything?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
The Acer logo appears immediately and stays on for two or three seconds. Then the screen goes blank except for the pointer
OK, so it might be time to try a repair of the OS. Do you have a Windows 8 install/boot DVD?
Alternatively you could try a restore of the machine, but this would erase anything you have now.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
No
Turn your computer off.Restart your computer.When the Acer screen comes up, immediately press and hold Alt+F10.Keep pressing F10 repeatedly while keeping the Alt button pressed down.You will be asked how you want to reset your computer.Press Factory Restore.This may take up to an hour.If you are asked to enter a pass code, enter your pass code or 000000.This may not work on the first attempt. You have to start tapping immediately when you hit the power button on. If it goes to regular start up with your windows, shut the computer off and retry it again.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I pressed Alt F10 and it opened up as normal. Do I need to do anything else now?
Once you reboot does it still work?
If not, that should be it then.
I hope I was able to help you today. If you are satisfied with my answer, rating my answer with positive feedback would be greatly appreciated. If you do have any additional questions please do feel free to post them here. Thank you for using Just Answer! Have a Great Day!