IT Miro
IT Miro, Computer Scientist
Experience:  Bachelor's Degree in Information Technology, Microsoft Certified Professional
30721786

There. I am having a problem restoring files from my

Customer Question

Hello there. I am having a problem restoring files from my backup. I am using a desktop, with Windows 7 Professional and using the in-built backup & restore facility. Whenever I try to restore a file or folder from any of my recent backups, I get the message,
"the restore did not complete successfully" and "access is denied". Is this to do with file and folder privilages and access, and if so, how do I fix it ?
Category: Laptop
Expert:  Pete replied 2 years ago.
Hi there,
Yes, you will get the "Access is denied" message if you are not logged on as administrator.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Hello Pete. Thank you for your answer, but the answer is not going to be as simple as that I'm afraid. I am logged in as an administrator when I get this message.
Expert:  Pete replied 2 years ago.
Is it the "administrator" account, or an account with administrator privileges?
Can you let me know the exact recovery method you are using?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
It is a user account (one of two) with administrator privileges. Not sure what you mean about the exact method for recovery. I am using the standard Windows 7 'Backup and Restore' utility and following the prompts to restore a file or folder from a recent backup in the normal way. The backups are running successfully every day. I can see the files and folders in the utility. I have tried to restore a file or folder from several of the backups.
Expert:  IT Miro replied 2 years ago.

Hello! I am IT Miro.

If you still require assistance with this issue, I would like to start remote desktop assistance to your computer so that I can see the problem myself and help you solve it.
Would you like me to do that?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
No, I'm sorry; I don't like the sound of that.
Expert:  IT Miro replied 2 years ago.
We can continue without remote desktop assistance, but it will be hard for me to understand the issue without actually seeing it, especially when you say that you are using an account with administrative privileges, but still unable to access the backup.
Remote desktop assistance works in a way that you can see everything I am doing and you can terminate the session at any time. There is a chat box as well so we can chat in real time. That way, I would be able to work more efficiently and it would save both of us time.
So, what do you say?