Richard, Computer Engineer
Experience:  Over 15 years of consulting to the IT industry
32989067

My lifebook ah512 says no bootable device

Category: Laptop
Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for your question, my name is ***** ***** I look forward to assisting you.
Please note, click on Reply to Expert to reply to me, a rating is only needed when we are finished.
If it says no bootable device then it means its not detecting the hard drive at all, which will usually point the a crashed hard disk.
Can you power off the Lifebook, then power it on and repeatedly press (not hold) the F2 and delete keys.
This will get you into the Bios, then go to Boot Order and make sure the hard disk is set as the first device.
then save this and tell me if it then starts please.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Apologies for not being available but internet went down (bt currently working nearby)

Am in bios and boot the priority reader is:

wndows boot manager

floppy disk drive

cd/dvd drive

network lan

usb hdd

usb cd/dvd

which is the hard disk?

thanks

Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
Set it to windows boot manager and save this, then try to start the lifebook.
Let me know the results please
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

gone straight to bootable device not found

Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
Thanks Deb, it confirms the problem
It is the hard drive that has faulted.
The lifebook cannot detect the hard drive which is the bootable device it is searching for and this is why it will error out and fail to start.
I am really sorry about this and you are going to have to return the lifebook to have the hard drive replaced. It will be covered by the warranty if this has not expired, and the replacement will be done at no cost to you.
I am really sorry about this, and if you have problems, or would like any additional information or assistance, please do not hesitate to let me know.
And if you can take a second to rate my service, that would be greatly appreciated.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Many thanks, ***** ***** would be the outcome but worth trying.

Deb

Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
Your welcome Deb
If you need anything else, please let me know
and if you can take a second to rate my service by clicking one of the stars at the top of the screen then submit so I am compensated, that would be greatly appreciated.