Viet - Computer Tech
Viet - Computer Tech, Other
Experience:  Ten years of computer software and hardware support; Windows 10 8 7 Vista XP & Mac.
30037186

My brothers R519 laptop does not show the Wireless Network

My brothers R519 laptop does not show the Wireless Network Connection Icon on the system tray. The blue led is lit to show that option is on but without the icon you cannot locate the router.
Category: Laptop
Expert:  Viet - Computer Tech replied 2 years ago.

Hello Michael! Thank you for your question. I am a licensed computer professional with over ten years of experience, and I will be assisting you today.

I'm sorry about the issue. Does it have windows xp, vista, or 7, or 8?

When was the last time wireless was working on this laptop?

Can you please test connecting the laptop to the modem/router with an Ethernet/network cable and see if internet works with cable connection?

Please reply at the box below. Thank you.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi Viet,

It is Windows 7. They changed the router recently. They can get onto the internet with a wired connection.

Thank you. So this issue first occurred right after changing the router?

Can you please click on Start\Control Panel\Network and Internet\Network and Sharing Center, then click on Connect to a network. Then does the wireless / network window?

Please let me know. Thank you.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi Viet,

Bit difficult as the computer is at my brothers house. Going across this afternoon so will try your suggestion.

No problem. Please take your time.

Also, if needed, press at the same time the two keys Fn and F9 on the keyboard in order to turn on / off the wireless.

Please let me know the result any time; I will help further as needed. Thank you.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi Viet,

I disconnected the wired conection and went into the "connect to a network" on a wireless connection. This put up the window for available routers to connect to and there was only one available and it was not his TalkTalk DSL - 3780 router. The stepped block icon for the wireless signal was also displayed in this window but it is not on the system tray of his laptop. I think his router is at fault. I have the same model laptop so I think I'll take this to his house and seen if I can see his router on that.

If his laptop was returned to factory settings would that get the icon back on his system tray ?. Would doing this effect the saved content on his hard drive ?

- Please disconnect the power cord from the modem/router device for a few minutes, then reconnect, then wait a bit, then see if his laptop can connect to wireless.

- Please click on the tiny triangle icon near the upper right corner of the computer's screen
, then click on Customize...
, then scroll down as needed
, then look for the network/wireless icon / option
, then click on the drop-down list on the right of the network/wireless icon / option
, then click on the option "Show icon and notifications"
, then click OK at the bottom
, then the wireless / network icon should show up at the bottom right of the computer's screen.

- If his laptop does not see his router's wireless network name, then please do the followings: Please click on Start, then right-click on Computer, then click on Manage, then click on Device manager, then click on the + (plus) sign in front of Network adapters and right-click on each of the items under it and click on Uninstall and confirm (but don't check the box to delete the driver if shown). Then restart the computer, and it will automatically reinstall. Then see if it can connect to wireless.

- If needed, please check if your laptop sees his router's wireless network name or not when your laptop is at his place. If your laptop does not see, then the router is bad.

Please let me know. Thank you.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi Viet,

Could you send that last reply again. There were gaps after all the click and click on instructions. Thank you.

Please click on View Answer in the email message from JustAnswer / Viet in order to view all my replies at this web page. Please scroll up / down this web page in order to see all my suggestions. Here are my last suggestions:

1. Please disconnect the power cord from the modem/router device for a few minutes, then reconnect, then wait a bit, then see if his laptop can connect to wireless.

2. Please click on the tiny triangle icon near the upper right corner of the computer's screen
, then click on Customize...
, then scroll down as needed
, then click OK at the bottom

3. If his laptop does not see his router's wireless network name, then please do the followings: Please click on Start, then right-click on Computer, then click on Manage, then click on Device manager, then click on the + (plus) sign in front of Network adapters and right-click on each of the items under it and click on Uninstall and confirm (but don't check the box to delete the driver if shown). Then restart the computer, and it will automatically reinstall. Then see if it can connect to wireless.

Please let me know. Thank you.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi Viet,

On item 2, I cannot see the triangle icon at the top right of the screen on either my laptop or my main computer, which operates on Windows Vista tm Home Premium

I'm sorry, I mean, the tiny triangle icon is located at near the bottom right corner. Please click on the image below to see:

//f01.justanswer.com/ref/http_i.imgur.com/OewVc5C.jpg
graphic

Please let me know. Thank you.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi Viet,

Yes I can see the triangle on my system tray. Been into that and I am clear on how to re-instate the wireless signal icon. Also looked on my laptop at the Network Adapters section. My dropdown reveals :-

1) Atheros AR9285 Wireless network adapter

2) Microsoft Virtual WIFI miniport adapter

3) REALTEK Pcle Family Controller

My wireless broadband connection is now with Virgin Media and the WIFI Network name is***** you say don't delete the driver I assume this is the talktalk driver for their router. Can the three items listed be deleted permanently from my own laptop.

No, your laptop does not have issue, so please do not do anything on your laptop. Please follow my suggestions on only your Brother's laptop.

1. Please disconnect the power cord from your brother's wireless router device for a few minutes, then reconnect, then wait a bit, then see if his laptop can connect to wireless.

2. If his laptop does not see his router's wireless network name, then please do the followings on his laptop: Please click on Start, then right-click on Computer, then click on Manage, then click on Device manager, then click on the + (plus) sign in front of Network adapters and right-click on each of the items under it and click on Uninstall and click on OK right away. Then restart the computer, and it will automatically reinstall. Then see if it can connect to wireless.

- If needed, please check if your laptop sees his router's wireless network name or not when your laptop is at his place. If your laptop does not see, then his router is bad.

Please let me know. Thank you.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hi Viet,

Been to my brothers house today. My computer could see about 10 router signals but his couldn't see any. There were two items in his Network Adapters which I uninstalled. On start up only the "REALTEK PCle Family Controller" was reinstalled.

They have already tried turning the router off and on without any success. My own computer shows "Microsoft Virtual WIFI miniport adapter" but my brothers other item, which did not reinstall on start up, was not this.

The attempt to get his wireless signal back on his system tray was also unsuccessful. When I clicked on Customise there was about 10 icons in this window but the wireless signal stepped bar icon was not in the list.

I am fairly sure that his router is faulty for a wireless connection but works fine with a wired connection. His laptop also is faulty as it will not see the wireless router signals available and the signal icon is not shown anywhere.

Suggestions please ?

Expert:  Viet - Computer Tech replied 1 year ago.
Restart his computer, then go to Device Manager again. Do you see the wireless / WiFi adapter now? And/or do you see any problematic / yellow item in Device Manager ? Thank you
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hi Viet,

His computer has been restarted a few times now and there is just the Realtek software shown. The is also no problematic / yellow item in the device manager.

What do we need to download onto his computer or how do we reset back to the factory settings to attempt to overcome this fault ?

Please back up his data files, such as documents, pictures, etc. to an external USB hard drive.
, then click on Start -> All programs -> Samsung -> Samsung Recovery Solution...
, then select the Restore option
, then select the Complete Restore option
, then continue.

Please let me know. Thank you.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hi Viet,

Did that and we got the wireless signal icon back on the system tray. Placing the cursor over this symbol showed the available AP's in the area. The Talk Talk router was not there so told my brother to get onto them and get another router.

Thanks for your assistance.

You're welcome. Great. The laptop is working now, so all you need is to troubleshoot the router and/or have it replaced. There is a reset button on the router you can push to reset, and check, but call TalkTalk first for troubleshooting as resetting the router may cause the Internet to stop working if you reset the router. If you need help with anything else, please come back any time. Also, can you please take a moment to rate my service by clicking on a face icon / service option below, then click on Submit when it shows up. Thank you very much for your patience,