IT Miro
IT Miro, Computer Scientist
Experience:  Bachelor's Degree in Information Technology, Microsoft Certified Professional
30721786

Laptop issue

Hi. I'm currently experiencing a rather troublesome issue with my laptop. I turned on my laptop a few hours ago, and it states that there are errors with my computer's files. it asks me to either start Windows normally, or to fix the errors Initially, both errors resulted in a black screen. But leaving it on attempting to fix errors eventually loaded a screen where it began to fix these errors. Upon fixing the supposed errors, it asks to restart the computer to finish fixing the errors. However, upon resetting the computer, instead it turned off, and has refused to turn back on since The power button does absolutely nothing, despite it being fully charged (it is even plugged in right now). The laptop was running perfectly yesterday, so I'm not sure what's going on. Do you have any ideas on how I might be able to fix my laptop? It is a Samsung with model NP300E5C-A0BUK, running on Windows 7

EDIT: The power is now working. One of my friends was meddling with the power. However, all previous problems involving the black screen still remain.

Category: Laptop
Expert:  IT Miro replied 1 year ago.

Hello! I am IT Miro and I will assist you on this question.

Please do the following:

1. Completely turn off the laptop

2. Disconnect the power connector from the laptop as well as any other hardware that is connected (mouse, printer, external hard disk drive, etc)

3. Turn the laptop over and remove the laptop battery

4. Press and hold the power button for 30 seconds, then release it

5. Now re-connect the battery and the power adapter and turn the laptop on

Let me know if the blank screen problem is still there.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

The black screen problem is still there. it stays on the black screen for a while after choosing to repair the errors, followed by the blue start-up background and cursor with nothing else. it took quite a while to load up to this, and it will likely take a while to start attempting to begin repairing the errors.

Essentially, after performing what you have suggested, the same as last time is occurring, hopefully without the power button issue (which is a rather embarrassing mistake!)

Expert:  IT Miro replied 1 year ago.
Is it still in the process of repairing the errors?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Yes. My computer has been extremely slow since it started; the window stating it is attempting to fix the errors hasn't even popped up properly yet.

Thank you for your help by the way. I was panicking that I'd lost a lot of stuff on my laptop, and I've been bounced back and forth between people and companies that had closed. :(

Expert:  IT Miro replied 1 year ago.
I will do my best to help you.

Since you say the computer has been extremely slow since those errors appeared, and since the repair window is taking a lot of time to open, I think there may be a problem with the hard disk.

Both Windows and its repair features are installed on the hard disk, so if there is some kind of a problem with the hard disk, you won't be able to load Windows nor access the repair features.

I am sure the hard disk hasn't failed completely, but will probably need to be un-plugged and re-plugged. So, I suggest doing the following:

1. Turn off your laptop

2. Disconnect the power adapter

3. Turn it over and remove the battery

4. Remove the hard disk compartment to get to the hard disk drive

5. Un-screw several screws to be able to un-plug the hard disk drive

6. Once un-plugged, clean the hard disk area and the connectors from dust. You can just blow the dust away

7. After that, re-plug the hard disk and re-screw the screws

8. Put the bottom cover back and re-connect both the battery and the power adapter

9. Start the laptop normally and see the results

I found a video that demonstrates how to disassemble Samsung NP300E5C laptop:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GxyFw4kLbA4

You can see the hard disk and the screws at 04:30.