Charles A. Roberts
Charles A. Roberts, Computer Enthusiast
Experience:  Laptop repair specialist
46034742

When I switch on it goes off after a few seconds then comes

Customer Question

when I switch on it goes off after a few seconds then comes on again then continuously does this.
Category: Laptop
Expert:  Quiksilver07070 replied 1 year ago.
Hello and thank you for choosing just answer.What happens when you pull the battery out, but leave the AC charger plugged in?Running it without a battery, but still plugged in getting power...does it do the same thing?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

yes it does the same thing

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

yes it just does the same thing

Expert:  Dr. Bell replied 1 year ago.
Hello, does the screen come on at all, as if it starts to boot up but fails to boot completely?
Expert:  Dr. Bell replied 1 year ago.
If your screen comes on initially and begins the boot process, it could either be a software issue with windows or a hardware issue that is causing windows to stop the boot process. When you power the computer on, start pressing the F8 key continuously. If done correctly, and the problem is what I assume, you should be presented with a Windows Boot Menu after a few seconds into the boot process. It wil give you options for Normal Mode, Safe Mode, etc. There should also be an option in this menu to "Disable Automatic Restart on System Failure." For now, try selecting "Safe Mode," and see if the computer will complete the boot process. You will see a lot of jargon displayed on the screen as it attempts to boot into Safe Mode. If Safe Mode does not boot, and it still shuts down, it is more likely that you have a hardware issue. Generally, a failing hard disk drive can cause this to happen. Please respond with your results up to this point so we can further troubleshoot the issue.
Expert:  Dr. Bell replied 1 year ago.
Hi, I see you are currently unavailable. I will check back for a response soon. Thanks.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

the laptop does not boot up when you push the start button it lights up for approximately 8 seconds then goes off for 3 seconds then repeats this continuously ie on 8 seconds off 3seconds

Expert:  Dr. Bell replied 1 year ago.
Does the screen display anything at all? And does it beep at all?
Expert:  Dr. Bell replied 1 year ago.
If the screen is displaying anything at all, please try to describe it. I am trying to determine if it is a hardware or software issue. Thanks.
Expert:  Dr. Bell replied 1 year ago.
It is also possible that the power button is getting stuck...less likely, but possible. If the power button is held down for about 10 seconds on any computer, it will force the device to power off. If you remove the battery AND unplug it, does it power itself back on when you insert the battery or plug it back in? If so, this may be an area of interest. You should have to manually press the power button to make it come on after all power has been removed from it and it is plugged back in.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

hi

pressing the f8 key continuously makes no difference the screen is still blank/black. I have also pressed the on/off button continuously in case that was sticking. it dose not power itself up after the bty has been refitted or if the power is turned on. ie you have to manually push the button to bring it on.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

hi

pressing the f8 key continuously makes no difference the screen is still blank/black. I have also pressed the on/off button continuously in case that was sticking. it does not power itself up after the battery has been refitted or if the power is turned on, ie you have to manually push the button to bring it on.