Richard, Computer Engineer
Experience:  Over 15 years of consulting to the IT industry
32989067

My shift keys do not work and the sticky keys are not on

my shift keys do not work and the sticky keys are not on
Category: Laptop
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your question, my name is ***** ***** I look forward to assisting you.
Please note, click on Reply to Expert to reply to me, a rating is only needed when we are finished.
Can you tell me which version of windows you have and what you have already tried to do to fix this problem please.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have windows 10.have only tried the sticky keys but still does not work
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
If you plug in a USB keyboard, do the shift keys on this work?
And when did they stop working?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
yesterday
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
I want you to do a system restore please
Close all programs,
Press the wwindows key + R and type in
rstrui.exe
Press enter
Follow the onscreen steps and perform a restore choosing a restore date before yesterday
Let this complete and tell me if they now work please.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Ricard. still the same
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
Can you connect a USB keyboard and tell me if you still have the issue please on the external keyboard.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
don't have one sorry
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
Can you tell me the make and model of the Laptop please?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
acer aspire 57427
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
ok, am not getting a match on that model.
Can you tell me the serial number on it please
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
LXR4po21971111a3601601
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
Thanks,
Drivers are not the issue as they do not use any special ones.
Can you press the windows key + R and type in
msconfig
Press enter
Click on the Services Tab and click "Hide All Microsoft Services"
Then click Disable All
Click ok, restart and let me know if it now works please.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
same as before.no good
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
ok, can you do the following please
Press the windows key + X and click on Command Prompt (admin)
A black window will open.
Type in it
sfc /scannow
press enter and when it has completed, type in
chkdsk /r
Press enter.
It will give a message "the type of the file system is NTFS cannot lock current drive.
chkdsk cannot run because the volume is in use by another process. Would you like to schedule this volume to be checked the next time the system restarts y/n" Say Y, press enter and restart the computer.
Please note, while this normally only takes 10 minutes to run, it can take at times number of hours if windows encounters many issues. If this is occurring it is critical to let this complete as it means you have corruption on the hard drive that it needs to fix. Even if it looks like the scan is not progressing, it is, please just let it run to completion. Windows will then start when it has.
Then tell me if it functions please.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
finished and teste but still the same
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
ok, we have one final step to do to confirm if this is a hardware or software issue, and that is the reinstallation of windows.
This will remove all data and return the computer to new, so first backup any data off it before doing the reinstall.
Once done, power off the Acer, then hold down ALT and with it held, power on the computer and keep tapping F10 until you get to a recovery manager.
Choose to do a factory restore and when this has completed, setup windows again like when you first received it and tell me if it now functions please.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
don't want to go through all that palaver. I will get it fixed locally
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
ok, but this is what they will have to do anyway as its the last remaining step to confirming the problem.
If you would like any additional information or assistance, please do not hesitate to let me know.
And if you can take a second to rate my service by clicking one of the stars at the top of the screen then submit, that would be greatly appreciated.
Richard, Computer Engineer
Experience: Over 15 years of consulting to the IT industry