Richard, Computer Engineer
Experience:  Over 15 years of consulting to the IT industry
32989067

I have problems with my ACER Aspire E1-572 laptop: 1. Sound

I have problems with my ACER Aspire E1-572 laptop:
1. Sound does not work - windows reports that some sound services did not start.
2. When I open the control panel I only get a blank screen that won't close.
3. Windows update doesn't work. I'm running Windows 8.1
Category: Laptop
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your question, my name is ***** ***** I look forward to assisting you.
Please note, click on Reply to Expert to reply to me, a rating is only needed when we are finished.
Can you tell me when these problems first started please?
And when you say windows restore, you mean you ran a system restore? And did this complete?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

When I bought the laptop it had a trial version of Macafee installed. After I subscribed to Macafee, it became very slow. I decided to use Microsoft defender instead. That is when the problems started - the computer became un -usable. That is when I did a factory reset. This fixed the problem - but re-installed Macafee. Then I replaced Macafee with AVG. The computer work to a fashion, I can use most programs and connect to the internet. But I have problems installing new software and the problems I described earlier. I did not receive restore disks with the laptop. The factory restore was on a partition on the hard drive. I copied this partition to a Micro SD card and now the problem persists - even after doing a restore

Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
Thanks Piet.
Can you do the following please.
Press the windows key + X and click on command prompt (admin)
A black window will open.
Type in it
sfc /scannow
press enter and when it has completed, type in
chkdsk /r
Press enter.
It will give a message "the type of the file system is NTFS cannot lock current drive.
chkdsk cannot run because the volume is in use by another process. Would you like to schedule this volume to be checked the next time the system restarts y/n" Say Y, press enter and restart the computer.
Please note, while this normally only takes 10 minutes to run, it can take at times number of hours if windows encounters many issues. If this is occurring it is critical to let this complete as it means you have corruption on the hard drive that it needs to fix. Even if it looks like the scan is not progressing, it is, please just let it run to completion. Windows will then start when it has.
Than tell me how it functions please.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hi Richard,

Thank you for the advice. sfc/scannow completed with errors. These errors were stored in a cbs log file. chkdsk/r ran for many hours and then windows started normally. The problems I mentioned still persist. Please advise me how to send you the log file, if it can help locate the problem.

Thanx Piet

Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
ok, no need for the log
Can you do the following please
Press the windows key + R and type in
msconfig
Press enter
lick on the Services Tab and click "Hide All Microsoft Services"
Then click Disable All
Click ok, restart and let me know if you stiill have the problem.
I can see you are a first time user to the site. What we do here is either a question and answer type of conversation or remote support where I would actually connect to the computer and have a look and attempt to fix the problem for you.
Remote support can save a lot of time if you are not comfortable performing repairs yourself. Sometimes even with instructions you can make a mistake and make things worse.
I will send an offer through for remote support and should you accept I will connect and see what is going on and fix the issue. Otherwise we can continue to talk like this but I will need to ask a number of other questions and try and walk you through some steps.
Both options are 100% guaranteed by the way. Remote is just quicker and avoids the risk of you making a mistake and doing something wrong.
If you want remote click get extra help. If not simply reply to me.
Thanks,
Richard, Computer Engineer
Experience: Over 15 years of consulting to the IT industry
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
Can you go to www.teamviewer.com
Click on Download for Free
Download and install the program and give me the ID and Password ***** please so I can connect
Do not close the program but leave it open else I will not be able to connect
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

ID - 870 467 402

P/W - 7996

Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
thanks, ***** *****
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hi Richard,

Thank you very much for your help.

Piet