Richard, Computer Engineer
Experience:  Over 15 years of consulting to the IT industry
32989067

Laptop PC unable to access internet

Laptop PC unable to access internet
Thank you for your question, my name is ***** ***** I look forward to assisting you.
Please note, a rating is only needed when we are finished.
Can you tell me the error you get when you try to access internet? Is it still connecting to your wifi network?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
It's my son's laptop - he had a different problem at home yesterday - it said it was connected but browser/s would not load any pages. Now, trying with our wifi, it won't connect to the internet at all. a message says that settings are incorrect but we don't know what settings.He has an Acer which has a thing called eNet Management and Profiles.
which version of windows is it running?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Vista
When did this problem start?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Yesterday. No changes had been made to profile or anything.
Can you close all programs.
Click start, type in
system restore
press enter
Follow the onscreen steps and perform a system restore from a restore date before yesterday
Let this complete and tell me if it now gets internet please.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
no input under Start - is it Run?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
or CMD?
you sure this is Vista? It sounds like windows xp?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Windows version 6.0.6002 ...
go here and tell me which version it is
http://whatsmyos.com/
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Windows Vista Home Premium. (control panel - system) Cant access web.
sorry thats right.
Then its start and you type it there in the search
system restore
press enter
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
It only has today as restore point! And it says Install Windows Update. We tried Create restore point but it will only create it now! Doh!
ok, just to be safe, choose that restore date please.
Do not create one, as that does not help, just use the date listed to run the restore please.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
The date listed is today, and the time is 3 hours ahead. Are you sure??
Time at bottom of screen is correct.
3 hours ahead? thats not really possible...
Sounds like something is really an issue on the computer but choose it please.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Woops yes it was yesterday's date.
We've done the restore ok. But I'm afraid it still won't connect. Do you think it's Settings?
what is the exact message you get when it fails to connect.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
No message as such it just says trying to connect then disconnected in this Acer e net management screen. The computer has now crashed. Apparently it has been doing that a lot too.
ok, whats the error when it crashes?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
No message it beeps and freezes.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
maybe that's not really a crash? But it stops working.
thats a hardware problem.Its the motherboard thats at fault, explains the wifi issue and the freezing, we can confirm this by reinstalling windows.First backup your data off the computer as this will remove it then power it off.Then hold ALT and with it held, power on the computer and keep tapping F10 until you get to the recovery menu.Follow the onscreen steps and perform a factory restore.If it freezes during this, then you know you need to replace the motherboard.If it completes, then setup the computer and check if it now functions.Let me know the results please.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
OK thanks we will do that and will certainly get back to you.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Hello Richard. We have backed up the data. Just to check - will your instructions above work ok with no access to the internet?
yes that is correct
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
We got :edit boot options for Vista.
We chose advanced options and now have
Repair your computer
Safe modes
Boot logging
etc etc optionsNo mention of factory restore. Do we pick repair your computer?
you sure you used ALT + F10 when starting the computer as this is only reached using F8
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Definitely F10 ...
ok, then the recovery is not on the computer.
Chose repair your computer and tell me what then happens please.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Got to Ststem Recovery Options.
Likeliest options are System Restore or Windows Complete PC Restore ... or Command Prompt
Windows Complete PC Restore please
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
No valid backup locations could be found. Is this about our backup onto a portable hard drive?? not now connected.
No its the system recovery, which either is faulty or wiped.
Choose system restore then and choose a restore date from before you had these problems.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Again, only option given is today's date. Presume no point doing that. So maybe PC is no good?"How do I choose a restore point?"
Says running in limited diagnostic state . If use Sys Restore in this state, cannot undo it.
ok, its a hardware problem.
I was hoping via this method it would show other restore points but it can't and it cannot access the image on the hard drive.
It all points to the motherboard as needing replacing
I am really sorry about this and you are going to have to return the Laptop to have this replaced. It will be covered by the warranty if this has not expired, and the replacement will be done at no cost to you.
I am really sorry about this, and if you have problems, or would like any additional information or assistance, please do not hesitate to let me know.
And if you can take a second to rate my service, that would be greatly appreciated.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thanks Richard you were very helpful. We suspected it may be NG and now we are sure.
your most welcome and was a pleasure working with you.