Richard, Computer Engineer
Experience:  Over 15 years of consulting to the IT industry
32989067

Laptop running Win 8.1. Now getting BSOD regularly with error

Customer Question

Laptop running Win 8.1. Now getting BSOD regularly with error message - 'Critical Structure Corruption'. Machine reboots but because it seeks to synchronise all the files shared with the server, this process can take hours!
Category: Laptop
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your question, my name is ***** ***** I look forward to assisting you.
Please note, a rating is only needed when we are finished.
There can be a few causes for this so we need to go through and eliminate them.
First, can you get into windows at all now?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
yes
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
ok, in windows press the windows key + X and click on Control Panel.
Then click on uninstall a program.
Look in the list and tell me if you see the program MacDrive installed please.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
not shown on the PC
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
Can you click on my link below and download and install the hotfix
https://software.intel.com/en-us/android/articles/intel-hardware-accelerated-execution-manager-end-user-license-agreement
Make sure you extract the installation file then run it and complete the process.
Once done, restart the computer and tell me if you still get the BSOD please.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
See the attached screen print
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
Reboot the computer and open the system's BIOS menu. This can usually be done by pressing the delete key, the F1 key or Alt and F4 keys depending on the system.
Open the Processor submenu The processor settings menu may be hidden in the Chipset, Advanced CPU Configuration or Northbridge.
Enable Intel Virtualization Technology (also known as Intel VT) or AMD-V depending on the brand of the processor. The virtualization extensions may be labeled Virtualization Extensions, Vanderpool or various other names depending on the OEM and system BIOS.
Enable Intel VTd or AMD IOMMU, if the options are available. Intel VTd and AMD IOMMU are used for PCI passthrough.
Select Save & Exit.
Then try to run the file again
Let me know the results please
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Good morning Richard and thanks for following up. I wasn't able to progress the recommended solution and haven't been able to revisit the problem since. I will do so later today or tomorrow and revert with my findings/experiences.
Tony
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
ok Tony