Quiksilver07070
Quiksilver07070, Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  Trouble shoot, repair, hardware software.
63493917

I HAVE JUST TRIED TO INSTALL SP1 VISTA 32BIT,

Customer Question

HELLO,I HAVE JUST TRIED TO INSTALL SP1 FOR WIN VISTA 32BIT, AFTER USING A DOWNLOAD FROM MICROSOFT.
I USED THE STAND ALONE PROGRAM AS TOLD TO DO FOR THE 86MSU, ALL WENT OK INCLUDING, MS CONFIG DISABLE SERVICES ANS START UP, AGAIN AS TOLD.
INSTALLATION STARED AND SAID : MAY TAKE 1 HOUR OR MORE, AND MAY RE-START SEVERAL TIMES, INCLUDING A BOX SAYING AUTOMATICALLY TICK OR MANUAL UN TICK.
ALL MY FIREWALL / SECURITY ESSENTIALS ARE OF.
STILL CAME BACK WITH CODE 0x800703FO.
WHATS WRONG ?.
I AM NEW TO THIS AND AM TRYING TO SORT THIS LAPTOP FOR MY GRANDSON ITS HIS FIRST COMPUTER.
Category: Laptop
Expert:  Quiksilver07070 replied 11 months ago.
Hello and thank you for choosing JUSTANSWER.com.Not sure why you are typing in all capitol letters.....but we use capitol letters to disinguish between normal words, and words we want to add EMPHASIS to. Its kind of like raising your voice in a conversation setting..Anyways, back to your computer issue..I need some background on this computer first.What is the make and model of this laptop?When was it purchased? What year?Has it ever had any problems before?
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
hello, and thanks for that,.
packard bell .
2 weeks ago from a friend 3rd hand.
not as i am aware of just he could never bothered with updates.
also ref my email, i have have given a second 1, but the first one was also me it rejected because it says its taken, yes by me years ago and it still ows me £11.00 pound.
Great, and thank you for the info.....but some stuff was left out.So the MAKE is a Hewlett Packard, but what about the model number?.Sounds like this machine is quite old......and when i say OLD, i mean anything over 5 years old. What you may or may not know.....is that ALL electronic devices are engineered to last only 1 year (i dont care what they tell you.....just have a look at their warranty). And will normally fail within 5 years. So....Trying to figure out which component has failed would be like having to replace ALL of the components..However, we dont live in a perfect world, so i will do my best to point you in the direction, and in the process of elimination you should follow, to help resolve the issue.
Im sorry, we are not allowed to EMAIL customers directly.....we MUST communicate here..First of all......I don't recommend Windows Vista to anybody.....it was a horrible OS, riddled with holes, and problems.Either go up to Windows 7, or go down to Windows XP, but get away from Vista..Secondly, if this is a NEW (new to you, meaning there is no personal data that you need to backup or save) laptop, you should start fresh, and REINSTALL a copy of WinXP, or Win7.Why? There are MORE hardware drivers for WinXP, and Win7, than there are for WinVista..
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
ref your first point no its a packard bell easy note, second point serial number i think is 0014-182-518-703,third point is yes it is old it was his grandads, i agree xp or win7 better but everyone starts some where, if it cant be fixed or sorted i will get another one.
further more refemailing me i dont expect you do do that , what i am saying is after paying for this service your systems asked me for 1 for the answer or further questions, however as i said before i forgot the sign in button its been years since i needed this service.
also this service still ows me £ 11.00 from an email ages ago, as for ringing i cannot afford this at this time am of sick with heart attack and trying to do this as surprise and give me something else to take mind of my problem.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
also ref backup discs there is none as he could not find them when his grandad passed on
Alrighty, and i totally understand what you are saying now.Thank you for claryfing this to me....Very Helpful, i wish all customers were as pleasent as you are..Moving on to the computer......if it is an Actual Packard Bell....they stopped making those years ago....and i would NOT reccommend it for a first computer.It has aging hardware (using older technology) that is difficult at best to get a replacement for, and would be best suited as a learning tool than a useful tool..Heres what i would reccommed you get for a Grandson.A desktop computer that uses the newest technology, but fairly cheap hardware.I like what Walmart is offering these days. It has GREAT hardware, by reputable companies like Lenovo and Acer. They offer unbeatable pricing, and the support is great as well..YOu could get a Student package for under $400. Including the monitor and keyboard and mouse.OrJust the tower for under $300.Depends on how you want to approach this.......But what i have given for gifts has ALWAYS been a desktop....never a laptop!Desktops can be taken apart easily, and repaired easily by novices, using off-the-shelf components.Laptops are NOT this way. you have to special order the parts, and taking a laptop apart can damage it VERY EASILY..I would give the grandson a NEW, but fairly cheap model of Desktop, and accompany it with the packard Bell, as a learning tool. SO he can take it apart, maybe try to get it to work again as a learning experience..Does all this help you?
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
i agree with what your saying as far as age but a desktop he cant carry around bear in mind he is only 11 and i am if you start from the bottom and working your way up you appreciate it things more.
next we got it free hence why i said if it cant be sorted i will find a laptop for him.
and this is just a learning tool to show what can go wrong and how to fix where possible by avoiding problems by simply watching /thinking about what you need 1 for and how to use it.
anyway back to problem at hand any ideas ?.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
problem is this most of the things he want to go on via the laptop he cant cos you need obsolete iexplorer 9 or better this has ie 5 at best.
Okay, i see what you are getting at..So...does this Packard Bell work at all?Does it boot up? Can you go online with it?Or does it not boot at all?.I would like to have a look at the computer specs.....like the CPU spec, and the RAM spec.....to make sure you even CAN update..For example many websites....like facebook, and Youtube use Adobe Flash players, and they require DirectX 10 or above these days.And the DirectX is a component of the motherboard, and its NOT upgradable.....unless you replace the motherboard..So you could only update and get SOME of the content that is available on the Web today.This is a VERY limiting issue. As you really don't know which websites you WONT BE ABLE to view properly until you try it..
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
hello thanks for coming back at no extra charge,1.yes it works thats what i am on now through mozilla fire fox.
2.how do you plan on looking at computer specs ?.
3.adobe flash player 12 on i did it myself, the rest i dont know am a novice at this as stated before but learn fast.
as far as websites are concerned no your right,but again its a learning curve for me aswell in some cases, yes he can use it but in a VERY LIMITED way if you know what i mean.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
as i said before i have managed to up date it to getting sp1 it will show its downloaded in update history but not installed hence using items as i said in first message to you.
OKay....heres the instructions for getting the specs i seek..open a command prompt:Click on Start, then click on Run. In the box that opens, type in “dxdiag” (no quotes) and click OK.If this is the first time your running this diagnostic windows will ask you for permission to check for WHQL Digital Signatures. Click Yes to this. You will then get the DirectX Diagnostic Tool..Once the DirectX diag tool opens.....i want you to tell me what version of directX you have..Also the CPU specs and RAM specs. Please.
Also, when you do a SP1 update, the Windows Update program handles all that.Microsoft should not have told you to DISABLE all the startup items, in the MSCONFIG utility window?Are you sure you got the SP1 downloaded form the RIGHT place?.Did you search the internet for SP1, or did you use the Windows Update Utility from the control Panel?
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
1.dx diag version 6.00.6000.16386 32bit unicode.
2.ram = 1918mb.
3. cpu = intel(r) pentium dual cpu T2310 @1.46 ghz (2 cpy 1.5ghz.
ref sp1 igot 5 downloads of it in history, then asked microsoft for what to do and did what was told.
IN the DX Diag window, Click the System tab, and then, under System Information, check the DirectX version number
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I have put the version mumber
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Sorry my mistake direct x 10
YOu put the version number for the diagnostic tool....not your Direct X version.I have the SAME DXDIAG version.......but i have DirectX 11..From what i can tell, you have 2 GB or RAM....which is decent.....it can run Win7 no problem..YOu have a Dual Core CPU running at 1.46Ghz...not too shabby. But todays PC's are 4 or 8 core running in the 3 Ghz space.....so basically triple or quadruple the speed..Both the RAM and the CPU are using the 533 Mhz as the FSB (Front Side Bus) speed. Again to put it perspectively with todays computers......even a standard off the shelf model would run at 1033, or higher....some of the latest tech is running at 1800
So, you have a fairly decent machine. Capable of your standard web browsing experience without too much trouble.Although you are using a DX version10.....that is not that old.....and MOST of the web will accomodate a DXver10 no problem..So....back to your original issue.....of getting an error on installing SP1.....i need to see where you got this from....HOW you GOT TO the download, and from which websites specifically..Again.....how was the SP1 update applied.....was it through the control panel and using Windows Update? Or did you search the web for SP1 for Vista?The WAY you got to the download makes a big difference!.Would you be willing to have a REMOTE SESSION to help me SEE what it is you need additional help with?
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
ok its direct x 10, as i said before ok, ref sp1 i say again through windows update facillity 5 times -then through web download.
the 5 or in update history, the other on destop / laptop screen.
and yes a reomte thing would save a possibly a lot of confusion.
you will have to tell me whats to do step by step .
Alrighty.....lets do a REMOTE SESSION.Normally these remote session are an additional charge, but I can offer it for free, under a single condition.The condition being, that you rate a 5 star now, and once confirmed, i will send you the link that will begin the process of connecting us together in a remote session.If you are ready, and you accept the terms of my condition....just accept this Answer, with a 5 star rating, and i will send the link for remote session.
Experience: Trouble shoot, repair, hardware software.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
5 star done awaiting link
Here is the linkhttp://www.justanswer.com/remotedesktop/join.aspx?Session=7a185ffd-62b3-4b0c-a070-2f99ecb77ef2.Remember to READ and follow the instructions to get the Elsinore Screen Connect to RUN on your computer..Once we connect, you will see a new chat window open and i will say hello.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
My keyboard on laptop has stopped working
On the screen connect you cant respond....cuz the keyboard stopped working?
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Will the link and all info you've said ie links still be there
Yup, all that is in here will remian on the website.Once you restart, it should work again
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
ok back on link again
ok, one sec