Richard, Computer Engineer
Experience:  Over 15 years of consulting to the IT industry
32989067

Network problem - lost net work connection whilst using my

Customer Question

Network problem - lost net work connection whilst using my laptop. Tried troubleshooting but didn't work. Tried restarting got messages that there were errors on the computer. Now I'm getting an error message when I restart and no network connection.
How can I fix this / get this fixed please?
Category: Laptop
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
Ho there and welcomeCan you tell me the exact error you get please.The version of windows you haveAnd make and model of the computerThank you
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
On restarting today no error message but still no network.
I'm on Windows 10 and have a Sony Vaio VPCF11S1E
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
ok, press the windows key + R and type inncpa.cplpress enterRight click on wifi, click connect and click on your network and connectEnter in your password ***** tell me if it connects please
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Wifi Said it was disabled so I clicked on enable. I was not asked for my password.Wifi now enabled and says connected but says 'no internet'N.b Internet / wifi working on other devicesLast message on system was avast antivirus expires in 24hrs
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
ok, go back there and click on your network and click Disconnect.Then click on it again and connect and tell me if it then functions please.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Have just run trouble shooting again: problems found one or more network protocols missing on this computer
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
ok, did it do a repair of this?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Tried the repair - result not fixedIf I plug internet Ethernet cable in can you enter computer remotely to fix?
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
ok, can you do the last instructions I gave please, I have repeated them belowgo back there and click on your network and click Disconnect.Then click on it again and connect and tell me if it then functions please.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Done - no change still says no internetAlso tried to connect Ethernet but get message - unidentified network no internet
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
did it ask you for the password ***** you tried to connect?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
ok, then it did not disconnectWhats the exact name of the wifi network?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
COLTHROP-MANORAlso have restarted modem and retried Ethernet connection - error 651 is the message
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
press the windows key + X and click on command prompt (admin)In the black window type innetsh wlan delete profile name="COLTHROP-MANOR"Press enterThen restart the Laptop, and connect again to the wireless network. I you did the instructions correctly it will ask for the passwordthen tell me please if you then get internet
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hmmm...doesn't do anything just moves to next line C:\users\sony>
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
yes, thats expected
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok done the process again and this time was asked for password. Still no change no internet
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
ok, press the windows key + X and click on command prompt (admin)In the black window type in netsh winsock resetipconfig /releaseipconfig /flushdnsnetsh int ip reset netshlog.txt Then restart the Laptop and check if it now has internet. Let me know the results please
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Error
Serious error occurs
Application would be shutdown
OK
Warning triangle on networks
Ethernet - unidentifed network no internet
Wifi - no internet secured
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
ErrorSerious error occurs Application would be shutdown OKOn which step did you get this?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
On restart
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
ok strange, when did this problem start?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Last night.
I was using the computer it came up with the message that my avast antivirus would run out in 24 hours then the screen when blank and the computer closed down . When I restarted I got this error message and the wifi wasn't working
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
ok, I want to do a system restore please.To do this, close all programs.Press the windows key + X and click on Control Panelclick System and SecurityThen click on SystemThen System ProtectionThen System restoreChoose a date before this problem occurred. Let it complete and tell me if it now functions correctly please
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Still got the message - system restore is initialising
It's been a long time! Is this ok?
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
how long has it been?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Phew...all working again. Thank you.I was getting worried there. I feared the hard disc had died again!I have another it question. I think I need to set up a static IP address for my printer. I'll list as a new question in a mo if you'd like to help me with that.
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
Perfect! was just a bit slow is allIf you would like any additional information or assistance, please do not hesitate to let me know.Else if you can take a second to rate my service by clicking one of the stars at the top of the screen then submit, that would be greatly appreciated.Thank you
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

excellent job thanks

I have listed my printer set up question if you'd like to help with that

Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
your welcome Craig