michelleclive
michelleclive, Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  Notebook and Handhelp support expertise
26798893

My wife's laptop (Toshiba C660/C660D circa 2007) won't start

My wife's laptop (Toshiba C660/C660D circa 2007) won't start up after not being used for several months. It gets as far as 'windows is loading files' and then stops, leaving a (moveable) mouse pointer on a blank screen. We have tried using the (recommended) repair option and a recovery disc, neither of which work. Any ideas?
Category: Laptop
Expert:  michelleclive replied 1 year ago.
Hi my name is ***** ***** I will be the expert working with you today to help and resolve the problem you have posted.how old is the computer and what is the windows operating system it has?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
2007, windows 7 (I think).
Push and hold down the power button for 10 seconds let the computer shut down now wait for 3 mins and power on the computer keep tapping the F8 key for a couple of times as soon as you power it on. Select safe mode and hit enter let the computer be on safe mode windows and then restart it to the normal mode. let me know if you are unable to follow all the steps.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Tried that - it seems to get stuck in a loop. When I try to start normally, it goes as far as the starting windows screen (with the Microsoft logo) and then a blank screen again. Then it goes round the same process again.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I left it waiting on the dos instruction page (start normally highlighted) and now it has changed to the default wallpaper page.
please restart computer and tap the f8 keyin the advanced boot options menu select the safe mode option and press enterlet me know if you reach the safe mode desktop screen or not
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It loads a pile of drivers and then goes to the windows error recovery screen, with the option of 'Launch Startup Repair' or 'Start Normally'.
ok got it..is your data backed up and have you created any recovery discs for this computer
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
All the data, which is a minimal amount, is duplicated on my current laptop. I have found a set of recovery discs, which may be for my wife's Tosh but may be for my Tosh (for which I have forgotten the password ***** again, a long time since it was used!).
right now since windows has run in an infinite loop, there is no way we can get in and recover any infothe only possibility is to do a factory reset or reinstall windows from a disc and install everything back again\if you ave your data backed up then once we have a fresh windows installed you can transfer your data back to this computeri will list down the steps for factory reset first
Make sure the device is turned off ("Shut-down" )Remove any peripherals such an external mouse, keyboard, monitor, USB flash drive etc.Make sure the AC Adapter is plugged in and working.Press and hold down the 0 (zero) key on the keyboard while powering on the laptop. Release it when the recovery warning screen appears.If the recovery process offers a choice of Operating Systems, select the appropriate one for you.A warning screen appears, stating that when the recovery is executed all data will be deleted and rewritten.Click Yes to continue.When the Toshiba Recovery Wizard opens select "Recovery of Factory Software" or the appropriate option for your needs.Continue to follow the directions restarting as necessary
let me know how it goes
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
After about a minute, it comes back with the windows error recovery screen (launch startup repair or start normally).
the factory restore partition too seems to be corruptedin such a case the windows will have to be reinstalled with windows 7 discdo you have windows 7 discs with you
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The Tosh's came with windows installed. We don't have discs. Sounds like we need to buy one.
Computers don't come with os disks any more that's been more than 10 years that pc manufacturers supply disk with the computer because they install a factory installed hidden partition which we initiate when the pc is really in bad shape or dont boot up. The factory partition must be good or if it has been damaged or deleted in that case factory restore cannot be initiated in that case you will have to buy windows operating system disk to reinstall windows.
I hope I've provided the information you were seeking. If you have any question feel free to ask. Please provide a rating by clicking on the smiley face below or stars on top right of the page and hit submit. Please don't rate negatively Instead reply me so that i can continue to help you answer you question further. Thank you.
let me know if you have any question.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
My wife has found a Windows xp Professional disc from 2005. If I try to install that, is it going to let me, or will it say it has been used a maximum number of times (ie - once) already?
you should be able to install xp without any problem all you have to do is boot the computer with the xp disk in the drive and the drive must be in working condition.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Many thanks for your help, Michelle. If xp doesn't work, we'll either buy a new version of windows or a new laptop (probably cheaper!)