Richard, Computer Engineer
Experience:  Over 15 years of consulting to the IT industry
32989067

Can't get icloud to sync contacts from laptop to iPhone 6s

Can't get icloud to sync contacts from laptop to iPhone 6s and now lost contacts on phone as tried to start again. Was working fine for ages before.
Hi, is this a Mac laptop? Thanks,John
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No pc, Windows 10
Thanks, ***** ***** opt out so an expert better suited can handle this question regarding Windows 10. When one becomes available, they will contact you. Please do not reply back until you hear from them as it may delay the transition. Thanks and good luck!John
Hi there and welcomeWhich version of outlook are you using Mark for the contacts on the computer?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
2013. Managed to repopulate my contacts on my phone but not updating new contacts like it used to. Calendar is ok.
ok, so if you add a contact on the phone, its not coming into outlook?Are you sure your looking at the contact folder iCloud Contacts? As its always stored there, separate to the other contact folders in outlook.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'm adding on laptop to iCloud contacts but its not updating to phone
ok, if you go to www.icloud.com on your computer, sign in and click on contacts.Do you see the contacts you added on the Laptop, there?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
yes
ok so its the iPhone,On your iPhone go to settings, iCloud. Turn Contacts Off, then On again.Then wait 5 minutes and tell me if the contacts now show please
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ok
thank you
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
it says keep or delete from my phone when I try to do that
use keep
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
says "merge" when I turn contacts back on
yes do this please
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Still not showing on phone
likely it has merged with another contact that you already had. It is on the computer and is on iCloud and the iPhone is synching else you would not have gotten these messages.Add a contact on iphone, go to www.icloud.comIs it there?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
yes and phone now showing update from laptop
ok, now the laptop should be going to phoneDo a test please
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Entered new contact on laptop, not on phone yet.
Hold the home and power buttons on the iPhone until you see an Apple Logo, then release.Once done, check the contacts and tell me if it is there please.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
not there, did it twice
ok, very strange as the phone sends the contacts.Via www.itunes.com make a contactDoes it go to the phone?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No
does it go to the laptop?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
yes. just realised I did the last bit through icloud.com, didn't see you said iTunes.com, can you make a contact that way, shall I try.
no, that was a typo on my behalf, ignore thatAre all the contacts on the iPhone also on the Laptop?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I've got hundreds but fairly sure yes
ok, if you are sure, then turn off contacts on the iPhone under Settings, icloud like we did before.then turn it on and this time choose to delete the contacts on the iPhoneThen let it synch and tell me if they then show please
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No. Contacts now empty!
ok, but did it go through the process of asking you to delete then that it was synching?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
not sure what you mean
When you did my instructions, what did it say as you were doing them.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
just keep or delete
ok, Go to iCloud and look at the apple ID your signed in with, choose Sign out, then Sign in again.Does it then download the contacts now?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
sorry which icloud, phone, laptop or icloud.com?
The phone please
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
when I try to sign out it says delete from my iphone
ok, as it is synching nothing, and we need to do this, you have to choose this option.Please do this then sign back in.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Done that and everything now on phone
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Just did a test from laptop and went to phone fine. Are we done?
We are, it was corrupted on the phone, it will be ok now.All I need you to do please is rate my service via one of the stars at the top of the screen the submitThank you Mark,Richard
Richard, Computer Engineer
Experience: Over 15 years of consulting to the IT industry