Charles A. Roberts
Charles A. Roberts, Computer Enthusiast
Experience:  Laptop repair specialist
46034742

I have an Acer laptop which keeps overheating and

Hi, I have an Acer laptop which keeps overheating and switching off. It doesn't usually happen when I am surfing the internet, only when I am using something like VLC player. Can you please advise me on what I can do to stop it overheating, thanks.
Category: Laptop
Expert:  Charles A. Roberts replied 1 year ago.
Hello my name is***** am sorry you have encountered this kind of problem. First how long have you had this machine and what is the model number please? I can say the usual causes of this problem is the heatsync and fan may be caked with some dust and particles. Usually you would take a compressed air can and blow it all out but at times the machine needs to be taken apart to have it cleaned out.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Charles, I have had the laptop for a few years and the model number is ***** Aspire 5742Z. It usually overheats when I am using something like VLC player, the larger the file the more likely it is to shut down. The fan gets really loud and then it shuts down.
Usually the more you run on it the more the processor has to work harder in this case it's not getting rid of the heat in time so the machine shuts off to protect itself. This video would show you how to take the machine apart to get to the fan. You would need to remove the fan if it is clogged. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xk65lnGnWUc​
If you don't feel you can do this you would need to have it taken apart to have it cleaned out.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks Charles, I will try to clean the fan. Also, it is more likely to overheat if I place it on my bed or on a pillow. It does not usually overheat if I place it on a table. Do you think a laptop cooling mat would help?
Laptop cooling pads are always helpful but it should not be overheating like that just by running a video on vlc. If it still does the same thing after the heatsync and fan are cleaned then you may be looking at a new heatsync and fan. Let me know if you have any further questions and don't forget to leave positive feedback using the rating system it's how we are compensated for our time and information.