Mike the Mac Medic
Mike the Mac Medic, Consultant
Experience:  Over 20 years experience with Apple/Windows desktop publishing, design, troubleshooting
25267123

I have installed a ram in my laptop. 1 of 8gb and 1 of 4gb.

Customer Question

I have installed a ram in my laptop. 1 of 8gb and 1 of 4gb. The laptop is still slow. It says in the my computer panel 3.41 usable. Does that mean one of my memory is not working or i need to install another 8gb so i have 2 8gb to achieve a good speed? Does 1 8gb and 1 4gb reduce the speed regardless because of the difference of the ram size? Windows 7 pro installed on it. dell insipiron e5430 with 1tb hdd.
Category: Laptop
Expert:  Mike the Mac Medic replied 1 year ago.

From the Desktop or Start Menu, right-click on Computer and select Properties.
In the System Properties window, the system will list "Installed memory (RAM)" with the total amount detected. Let me know what that is.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It says installed 12gb. Then next to it says 3.41 useable

Yes that means it is not able to use the 8 Gb RAM. Give me a minute

Although the memory can be installed one module at a time, the best performance comes from using matched pairs of modules. I suggest you get two 8 GB modules.

Sorry that won't work. You have a 32-bit system on your laptop. The max memory the 32-bit architecture can accommodate is 4 GB's of RAM so no matter how many RAMs you add, it will only recognize up to 4 GB. You have to upgrade to a 64 bit system. If you are satisfied, please kindly provide an OK or Above Rating - so I get paid. Keep in mind you can always come back to this page at any time regarding this question. Thanks!!

You can see if your Windows 7 is 32 or 64 bit in that same window we opened. You can get the upgrade to Windows 7 64 bit:

http://www.pcworld.com/article/223773/upgrade_win7_64.html

Did you check that?