Lorenz Vauck
Lorenz Vauck, Computer Expert
Experience:  17 years of experience in fixing problems with DOS, Linux, Mac OS, iOS, Android & Windows. Just ask me :)
78122054

I'm puzzling out Toshiba laptop that my family friend gave

I'm puzzling out Toshiba laptop that my family friend gave to me because of long black screen when on but can force to wake up by rush of keys in keyboard that start up. (Power led lit up when pressed but didn't start up the system till keyboard)
Read about battery settings, that didn't work as changed power processor to maximum (before it was 5%) .
Category: Laptop
Expert:  Lorenz Vauck replied 7 months ago.

Dear Client,

thank you very much for your question. My name is***** and I will try to help you as quick possible.

A quick question to better understand your problem: do you mean that the laptop turns to a black screen from time to time when it has been idle for a while and then you can´t bring it to wake up again? I just want to make sure I understand your problem correctly.

Thanks for your patience and best regards,

Lorenz Vauck

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Only when I want to power on the laptop and compents are on but black screen, if you typing the keyboard then numlock led appears and takes to loading O.S. I might be able to send you video that you understand problem clearly

Thanks for letting me know. A video would be great, you can attach it here or upload it to wherever you want and send me the link. Thank you.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
https://youtu.be/ywA8o7I2lK8That's the link I give laptop to startup without pressing anything on keyboard till after 1 min.And other link that pressing keyboard till laptop starts.https://youtu.be/1CxgADbrKG8Now you can compare the laptop start up speed (don't think it entered POST yet as black screen)

OK thanks, ***** ***** me a moment....

I´ve been watching both videos, but it makes no sense indeed. Can you please let me know the exact model of your Toshiba? Only a guess yet: I am assuming it is having a problem initializing some hardware components. If it starts, is Windows running fine? Are there any "yellow" devices in the device manager within Windows?

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Just going to sleep as I've got a early start tomorrow. Can we resume this tomorrow and I'll check Device Manager and Model is Toshiba Satellie S50D.My guess was something to do with upgrade, the laptop was originally was Win8 but now Win 10so you might be right, could be drivers.

Yes, but the OS nor drivers do matter at this stage, it´s hanging before it is initializing the UEFI (BIOS) actually, the installed software has no influence on this. I am guessing more for a hardware problem here, though I´ve never seen that kind of problem to be honest. Yes, if you can check the device manager after it (finally) boots, and check for any device that has a yellow mark, that could possibly show us which component might be defective. Also, do you still have warranty on it possibly?

Sure, just get back to me when you are back, I am here from about 6 pm tomorrow, all night long:) I will try my best to resolve this issue with you.

Have a good night then and cheers,

Lorenz Vauck

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I forgot to mention that might help this... I did Malwarebytes scan and detected AdwCleaner and thought haven't heard of it so I googled it and found to be true version but some said spammers has cloned version of software so I let Malwarebytes take action of this fake version.

Yes, indeed, there are "bad" versions of AdwCleaner (the best cleaner in my opinion by the way, I use it daily as well for my clients), but it does have nothing to do with your problem. Remember, the stage it is making problems is completely unaffected by any software you have installed, it is prior to the UEFI. The loading chain is: you press "Power on", it initializes the hardware, loads the UEFI and just then your software. Your problem is at the hardware initialization stage, whatever software you have installed, it won´t affect anything at that stage, since it is just loaded afterwards. You could even disconnect the hard disk, it won´t make a difference for your problem as at this stage it does not even load anything from the hard disk.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
As attached. Nothing attached to USB at the present.

Good evening,

thanks for that picture, it should have nothing to do with your boot-problem as well. Do you possibly have warranty on the Laptop still?

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I'll ask my family friend if they still have warrently.

There is really something wrong with the hardware during the init, but we cannot see what it is right now. I am sorry for not having better news for you, but we can´t solve this remotely as it looks. Should I possibly open your question for other experts and see if someone else might have any idea?

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
That's fine, I've asked other computer groups on Facebook and suggested me to open up laptop and remove battery pack and cmos battery and pressing power button for 30 sec. I'll let you know if it worked.

OK thanks. That procedure will reset the BIOS / UEFI to it´s default, but will most likely not change anything about the situation. But surely you can try it out. Just take care with the CMOS battery, it cannot always be removed in some Laptops and you will "break it" instead. In this case, you should "short it" with a spoon for example. That will have the same effect.

In any case, I look forward to hearing back from you and would be happy if you could also possibly give me a positive rating (3 to 5 stars), because only then JustAnswer will pay me for my work at all.

Thanks so much,

Lorenz Vauck

Good evening:)

have you tried the above procedure yet?

Thank you very much,

Lorenz Vauck

Lorenz Vauck, Computer Expert
Experience: 17 years of experience in fixing problems with DOS, Linux, Mac OS, iOS, Android & Windows. Just ask me :)
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Sorry, have forgotten to reply above, that procedure didn't work and have contacted my friend who expert on laptop, I know more about desktop PC mainly and they will have a loook. I still would like to let you know the solution of problem.I'll rate it now to give you credit for now :)

Thank you for the nice rating, I appreciate it. As I thought, the CMOS reset did not help. There is surely something wrong with a hardware component that needs to be repaired. I think it would be best if you would bring it to your Toshiba dealer, because they have special diagnostic devices for these Laptops to find out which component is damaged.

Please keep me posted and thank you very much:)