Hans Uebelhoer
Hans Uebelhoer, Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  I can repair laptop hardware as well as softwware.
29701876

Recently purchased a hp laptop and I have forgotten the

Customer Question

Recently purchased a hp laptop and I have forgotten the password ***** the hint makes no sense
Category: Laptop
Expert:  Russell H. replied 12 months ago.

Hi, thank you for contacting JustAnswer.com. My name is Russell. I will do my best to provide the right answer to your question.

If the password ***** is of no use, there are other avenues to pursue, or at least thing over:

1: do you have a password ***** disk prepared? or a password ***** USB flash drive? (People seldom have one of these, so I'm not expecting a 'yes' on this.)

2: does your computer have any other user account, or Windows login account, on it? if so, switch to that account at the login screen, and see if you can get into the computer that way, and then reset or cancel the password ***** the account you have forgotten the password ***** or otherwise deal with the problem effectively.

Customer: replied 12 months ago.
No to both questions

Then I'm sorry to say, I don't think there is much of an alternative than perhaps to take it back to the store for them to deal with, if it has been purchased really recently (within the store's return/exchange period.)

But:

A: Another Expert here may have more ideas as to what to do with this case (and I will give you a chance to hear from another Expert soon, most likely.)

B: Can you try to boot up in Safe Mode for me? It probably won't work, but if it does, you will be able to get into your system I think.

To try to boot up into Safe Mode:

- from a powered-Off state, turn the computer On, and immediately press the F8 key, once or twice a second, until the text-only Safe Mode selection screen appears, with a highlight bar across it.

- then using up and down arrow keys, move the highlight bar to Safe Mode, and press the RETURN (or, ENTER) key, once.

- the computer will boot up in Safe Mode, a reduced mode of Windows with a less-detailed or colorless screen, into which you may log in, and do whatever operation you need.