Richard, Computer Engineer
Experience:  Over 15 years of consulting to the IT industry
32989067

We have a couple of ACER laptops that we have created some

We have a couple of ACER laptops that we have created some documents on in word/excel and in the properties, they state different dates and times in the created and modified sections to the actual dates they were created. I.e they were in fact created some days later but it shows 3/4 days before. This is creating a problem for us in the work place since we are trying to back track on this for audit purposes.
Pleas let me know what has happened with this. Thanks
Category: Laptop
Expert:  Richard replied 3 months ago.

Hi there and welcome

If you do this now on a new document, does it mislable the dates still?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Hi no it does not. We tried it and tested on the 2 laptops in question and works out the same. We used the passport big USB to save them on and tested that too.
Expert:  Richard replied 3 months ago.

ok, they have enxountered a computer then with the incorrect date and time

How many computers has it been exposed to?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Sorry I don't understand your
question?
Expert:  Richard replied 3 months ago.

ok, the document was used on a computer with the incorrect date and time, this is the most common cause for the issue.

How many different computers have worked on this file?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
We tested the very same computers and they do not appear to be incorrect against the time dates.
Expert:  Richard replied 3 months ago.

ok, but the only way this can occur is at the time when the date and time was set, the computer had it incorrectly. It gets this from the computer, as the computer is geting it from the internet but stores it locally, it is possible an intermediete issue occurred with the clock on the computer before it updated online (it does this every 30 seconds)

But the cause for this is that at the time it applied the date and time, it was incorrect on the computer.

Do you know which computer gave the incorrect date and time?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
The were created during an exam using secure-assess.
Although is being disputed
Expert:  Richard replied 3 months ago.

Ok, but it will take the time from the computer, unless the person who was editing the file manually modified it themselves, if you know how to this can be done with the right program.

Do you feel they may have purposly done this?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Not sure that's why I am asking since staff are also querying. In fact, there were invigilators present who have sworn that the students did those parts during the exams. It would not even be possible to know what electronic questions would come up until you use the keycodes to login on the day of exams and not days before.For part B of the assessment, it has to be offline so no internet connection.
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
How could this have happen from you expert opinion. Since I would like to use what you say as part of my written report.
Expert:  Richard replied 3 months ago.

Only two ways

1) The date and time at the time was incorrect on the computer at the time the documents updated the date and time as they only get this from the computer. Either the clock malfunctioned and it was incorrect for 30 seconds until it updated the date and time which computers do from an online source. Or someone changed the date and time on the computer then modified the document so it would have the different date and time.

2) A program was used to modify the date and time. There are a range of free programs available, this is one such program http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/bulk_file_changer.html and most a free and easy to use. These can change the date and time.

There are the only two ways this can occur.

Expert:  Richard replied 3 months ago.

If you would like any additional information or assistance, please do not hesitate to let me know.

And please take a second to rate my service by clicking one of the stars at the top of the screen then submit