Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta, Veterinarian
Experience:  25 years of experience in treating large animals of all kinds.
16881297

our donkey had his hooves trimmed and they were trimmed too

Customer Question

our donkey had his hooves trimmed and they were trimmed too short he is walking with a limp and is now lying down , will he be ok or should i call the vet
Category: Large Animal
Expert:  Dr. Loretta replied 4 years ago.

Good Morning and welcome to Justanswer. I am Dr. Loretta , a licensed veterinarian and am happy to answer your question.

I am so sorry to hear about Ben...this muct be very painful for teh poor guy!!

I have a few questions to help me better assist you.

How long ago did this happen?

Could he have gotten into any extra feed or have you changed his feed?

Sincerely, Dr. Loretta

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Hi Dr Loretta , He had them trimmed on Saturday , he hasnt had his fed changed he is standing up again but isn't moving too far , he is walking but it does look sore will all be ok when they grow a bit?

Thank you Colette for that information...

I always worry with donkeys that they may have foundered. The first signs are laying down and lame in their front feet. If thsi started right after being trimmed, then it is similar to cutting your nails short...it is painful for a few days to a week until the horn grows out enough to stop the discomfort.

Even if this is a form of founder, Colette, it is treated teh same by givning Ben an anti inflammatory medication such as Butazolidin or Banamine daily until the signs resolve. You will have ot get this from your vet, Colette since it is a prescription medication.

Leave Ben in a very small area so he cannot move very much to allow this area time to heal. Just in case, give him only a low quality hay in case there is a founder componenet.

Does that make sense to you, Colette?

Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please Reply so I can clarify for you

Sincerely, Dr. Loretta

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

THanks Dr loretta I will do that , hopefully he'll be ok in a few days

Excellent, Colette...I am sure Ben will feel better in only a few days.

Have a great day, Colette...Ben too!!