CountryDoc
CountryDoc, Veterinarian
Experience:  Experienced mixed animal veterinarian
16703648

7 year old ewe with twin lambs aged 4 weeks, the ewe isnt

7 year old ewe with twin lambs aged 4 weeks, the ewe isn't eating much has lost weight is weak and unsteady but drinking ok..what's wrong
Category: Large Animal
Expert:  Shantal-Mod replied 3 years ago.

I'm Shantal and I'm a moderator for this topic.

We have been working with the Experts to try to help you with your question. Sometimes it may take a bit of time to find the right fit.

I was checking to see if you had already found your answer or if you still need assistance from one of the Experts.

Please let me know if you wish to continue waiting or if you would like for us to close your question?

Expert:  CountryDoc replied 3 years ago.
Hi this is Dr. Christie!

I am sorry to hear your ewe is having problems!

Are you able to take the ewe's temperature? What is it?
Is she having any vaginal discharge?
Have you checked her udders for any heat or hardness?
Can you check the ewe's mucous membrane color (third eyelids or gums)?

Decreased appetite, weight loss, and weakness after lambing can indicate a few different things such as a heavy parasite load (particularly Haemonchus contortus worms), infection (vaginal, mammary,etc), nutritional deficiencies, toxicities.

If you are able, get a fresh fecal sample and have your vet check it for any parasites. Pale mucus membrane colors would support this. Your vet can then make a recommendation for deworming.
If she has a high temperature, certainly infection is likely. Mastitis is a common occurrence at this point post-lambing. I would get your vet out to treat her as soon as possible.
If you have a high energy drench available I would get that into her to help keep her energy up since she is nursing twins.

I would recommend getting your vet out as soon as possible to have her checked out to get treatment started!

Please let me know if you have any further questions or concerns!
Best wishes for a speedy recovery for your ewe!
Dr. Christie
CountryDoc, Veterinarian
Experience: Experienced mixed animal veterinarian