Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  As a veterinarian, I have been educated to treat all animals, big and small.
60269376

I have a pet pygmy goat. Female, 7 years old. She has intermittant

Customer Question

I have a pet pygmy goat. Female, 7 years old. She has intermittant diarrhoea then recovers. Her stools have been fairly solid for around one month but show no.sign of returning to normal. She is fed a balanced diet, stock blend, rice, fruit. No appetite loss. Fluid intake has increased to about 750ml per day. Bacerial imbalance in gut?
Category: Large Animal
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 2 years ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today. I do apologize that your question was not answered before. Different experts come online at various times; I just came online, read about your wee one’s situation, and wanted to help.

Now just as in people, goats can have intermittent diarrhea for a range of causes. GI microflora imbalance is one consideration but we do also have to consider potential low grade parasitic infections, protozoa, pathogenic bacterial populations, and even conditions that would change the GI architecture (ie Johnes disease, diffuse GI tumors, viral damage to the GI lining, etc).

In this situation, it does sound like she has a good diet, therefore nutritional causes and dietary sensitivities would be less likely here. You haven't notes any access to toxic or GI upsetting plants, so hopefully we can rule those out as well. With all this in mind and her long term history of fecal issue, then best course of action here would be to consider submitting a fecal sample to local vet or vet lab. You can do this before even having the vet out to look at her. This can be checked for any parasites present, tested for suspect viruses, and be cultured to identify any bacterial culprits. Depending on the findings, this will tell you what is to blame for her loose stools and thus guide you on how to treat it effectively to clear this for her.

Alternatively, if you are keen and have a microscope, you can check a fecal sample yourself. You obviously won't be able to test for bacterial or viral agents but microscopic fecal sample analysis is a great tool for diagnosing the presence of parasites (protozoal and worms). So, if you are keen, you can find a great guide for fecal sample analysis HERE and this would be a good place to start in determining the root of her abnormal stools.

Finally, if you haven't already, you may want to consider supplementing Daisymay with a goat probiotic. There are a range on the market (ie Fastrack) that could just help rebalance her gut if this is just a microflora disturbance inducing her loose stools. So, this would be a supportive measure to consider if you have not already.

Overall, intermittent diarrhea is often a sign of low grade GI disturbances either to those good bacteria in the gut or due to a low grade infection. Therefore, in this case, do consider a probiotic support for Daisymay and potentially having a fecal sample tested. Depending on the results of the fecal, you will be in a position to know what is present and therefore target treatment as required for her to settle her abnormal stools.

I hope this information is helpful.

If you need any additional information, do not hesitate to ask!

All the best,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need. Thank you and hope to see you again soon! : )