CountryDoc
CountryDoc, Veterinarian
Experience:  Experienced mixed animal veterinarian
16703648

3 week old lamb will not drink her bottle. She is also

Customer Question

3 week old lamb will not drink her bottle. She is also stretching out from back legs. Thank you
Category: Large Animal
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today. I do apologize that your question was not answered before. Different experts come online at various times; I just came online, read about your wee one’s situation, and wanted to help.Again I do apologize that my colleagues could not aid you sooner, but can you tell me: How long has she had these signs?Does she appear to have a distended belly? Or is it tender or sore when pressed?Any black stool? Any changes to feces or struggles to pass them?Are her gums pink or pale/white? Moist or sticky?Is she on a lamb specific mild replacer?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Great to hear from you.
The lamb went back to drinking her bottle. I think it might have been pains from eating lamb nuts and the grass.
Also the was a change in the type of lamb milk replacer she was drinking.
My internet was gone so I was also delayed in checking your response.
The lamb seems to be developing a lump just behind her front leg.
But she seems back to full health apart from that.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
Good morning,No worries, though I do apologize that it looks like we are playing a wee bit of tag (though we are quite close in time zone, as I am UK based).Anyway, I am glad to hear that she has returned to her bottle. If she hadn't or does lapse again, we'd want to start drenching or stomach tubing her milk +/- electrolytes (ie Resorb, Lectaid) to keep her hydrated and prevent any blood sugar drops. As well, if you did make a sudden change in milk replacer brands, this could be causing gut upset and imbalances in the good gut microflora. Therefore, a probiotic may be worth starting here as well. Of course, do keep an eye out for bloating, constipation or passage of black stool (since those signs could be a hint of a stomach ulcer). Otherwise, in regards ***** ***** leg, is this lump on the joint?Is it warm, fluidy, firm, or sore to the touch?Any fever?Can you take a photo of this? If you can and post them, it will let me see what you are seeing. To post them online, you can use the paper clip icon above your text box. Or if you cannot see that on your phone/computer, just post them on any site (ie Flickr, Photobucket, Imgr etc) and paste the web link here for me follow.