Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  As a veterinarian, I have been educated to treat all animals, big and small.
60269376

We have reindeer which have a low tolerance to parasites,

Customer Question

We have reindeer which have a low tolerance to parasites, but recently found we have dung beetles n ur paddocks, should we collect/remove dung, thus breaking the cycle of strongyles etc or leave it to promote the beetles ?
Category: Large Animal
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Worming kills the worms and can kill the beetles feeding off dung, so really Q is should we worry more about worming and dung removal or are dung beetles mother natures answer and we should promote their existence and environment by leaving more dung and doing fecal egg counts regularly and try ley the beetles thrive.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with today. I do apologize that your question was not answered before. Different experts come online at various times; I just came online, read about your wee one’s situation, and wanted to help.

While dung beetles can be useful in reducing worm loads on pastures, if your reindeer are quite parasite sensitive then you are better removing the feces from the pasture. Especially since reindeers being kept in a finite area isn't natural and therefore we cannot just rely on mother nature as a wormer. (if they were free range over acres, then the beetles may be enough of a deterrent). Otherwise, it is alway advisable to check fecal egg counts before and after worming. That way you can ensure you target your wormer to the needs to of your stock, make sure that worming was effective and prevent over-worming. That way you reduce pasture contamination in general and therefore protect your animals. So, the beetles are a nice extra option but cannot be used as a primary wormer for kept animals.

Kind regards,

Dr. B.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. **Afterwards, I would be grateful if you would rate my service by clicking on the "Rate my Expert' button at the top of the page as this is the only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you for your feedback!: )