Michael Holly
Michael Holly, Solicitor
Experience:  I have 20 years of experience as a solicitor in litigation and other areas
12609314

Hi, I am joint executor of my mothers will… The solicitors

Customer Question

I am joint executor of my mothers will…
The solicitors sent me a letter today saying they were going in to remove any items of worth from the property.
they did this yesterday without prior notice I am the main beneficiary…
they charged me about £600 to do so…
I am really unhappy, they did not ask me and as I am joint executor and main beneficiary they should have been gaining advanced notice.
What should I do ?
Expert:  Michael Holly replied 4 years ago.

Did the solicitors give any reason for doing this?

Yours sincerely

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

no none really.

I am so upset.

I can understand why you are upset, unless there is a good reason why they had to remove these items quickly, such as a flood at the house and you were out of town, they simply could have asked you to do this

I would firstly write to the solicitor concerned asking for an explanation saying that you would have been happy to remove the items had they asked and that you have no intention of paying for the removal of the items. If you do not get a satisfactory response write again to the senior partner of the firm making a formal complaint.

In the absence of a good explanation this smacks of the solicitors simply doing something unnecessary so they can bill for it

I hope this helps. If I have missed something please reply

Best wishes

Yours sincerely