How JustAnswer Works:

  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.

Ask Jo C. Your Own Question

Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 70122
Experience:  Over 5 years in practice
Type Your Law Question Here...
Jo C. is online now

Hi This is a UK law question. I accidently opened a letter

Customer Question

This is a UK law question.
I accidently opened a letter addressed to someone who used to live here a long time ago and it was a court proceedings for a company trying to record a CCJ against this person. I returned the documents to the court and thought that would be the end of it. Another letter arrived yesterday addressed to this person and I recognised the return address that it was from the court again. I have returned it to sender but I am concerned. Firstly, will something have been recorded against my house? Secondly, this person left over 18 months ago and clearly hasn't had any way of defending this.
What should I do? I'm concerned that the bailiffs are going to turn up at my door or something is going to happen to me.
Submitted: 4 years ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  Jo C. replied 4 years ago.
Do you have a forwarding address?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

No I don't have any details for them. I heard they moved overseas

Expert:  Jo C. replied 4 years ago.
There isn't really a great deal that you can do or need to do about this.

What's happened is that judgement has been recorded against this person in default probably because he didn't attend court. If you didn't have a forwarding address for him that there was no way that you could have avoided that.

It is possible that bailiffs could attend but it doesn't really matter because they have no claim against you. Even if they do attend they cannot take anything belonging to you. The bailiffs will not break in or a least they should not. If they do break in then you would have a very good claim against them in compensation. You have to invite them in and you can just refuse to do so. even if you do invite them in it doesn't really matter because you are not the debtor.

You can explain to the bailiffs and the creditor that the debtor does not live at this address. It wouldn't do any harm to notify the court as well. Thereafter, there's nothing you can do.

Even if bailiffs do attend I have no claim against you in any event.

Hope this helps.

What Customers are Saying:

  • Thank you so much for your help. Your answers were really useful and came back so quickly. Great! Maggie
< Previous | Next >
  • Thank you so much for your help. Your answers were really useful and came back so quickly. Great! Maggie
  • A quick response, a succinct and helpful answer in simple English. I believe I can now confront the counter party with confidence -- worth the 30 bucks! Rick
  • Wonderful service, prompt, efficient, and accurate. Couldn't have asked for more. I cannot thank you enough for your help. Mary C.
  • This expert is wonderful. They truly know what they are talking about, and they actually care about you. They really helped put my nerves at ease. Thank you so much!!!! Alex
  • Thank you for all your help. It is nice to know that this service is here for people like myself, who need answers fast and are not sure who to consult. GP
  • I couldn't be more satisfied! This is the site I will always come to when I need a second opinion. Justin
  • Just let me say that this encounter has been entirely professional and most helpful. I liked that I could ask additional questions and get answered in a very short turn around. Esther

Meet The Experts:

  • Jo C.

    Jo C.


    Satisfied Customers:

    Over 5 years in practice
< Previous | Next >
  • Jo C.'s Avatar

    Jo C.


    Satisfied Customers:

    Over 5 years in practice
  • Ben Jones's Avatar

    Ben Jones

    UK Lawyer

    Satisfied Customers:

    Qualified Solicitor - Please start your question with 'For Ben Jones'
  • Buachaill's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    Barrister 17 years experience
  • Max Lowry's Avatar

    Max Lowry


    Satisfied Customers:

    LLB, 10 years post qualification experience
  • UK_Lawyer's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    I am a qualified solicitor and an expert in UK law.
  • Kasare's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    Solicitor, 10 yrs plus experience in civil litigation, employment and family law
  • Joshua's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    LL.B (Hons), Higher Prof. Dip. Law & Practice