Hi This is a UK law question. I accidently opened a letter

Customer Question

This is a UK law question.
I accidently opened a letter addressed to someone who used to live here a long time ago and it was a court proceedings for a company trying to record a CCJ against this person. I returned the documents to the court and thought that would be the end of it. Another letter arrived yesterday addressed to this person and I recognised the return address that it was from the court again. I have returned it to sender but I am concerned. Firstly, will something have been recorded against my house? Secondly, this person left over 18 months ago and clearly hasn't had any way of defending this.
What should I do? I'm concerned that the bailiffs are going to turn up at my door or something is going to happen to me.
Do you have a forwarding address?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

No I don't have any details for them. I heard they moved overseas

There isn't really a great deal that you can do or need to do about this.

What's happened is that judgement has been recorded against this person in default probably because he didn't attend court. If you didn't have a forwarding address for him that there was no way that you could have avoided that.

It is possible that bailiffs could attend but it doesn't really matter because they have no claim against you. Even if they do attend they cannot take anything belonging to you. The bailiffs will not break in or a least they should not. If they do break in then you would have a very good claim against them in compensation. You have to invite them in and you can just refuse to do so. even if you do invite them in it doesn't really matter because you are not the debtor.

You can explain to the bailiffs and the creditor that the debtor does not live at this address. It wouldn't do any harm to notify the court as well. Thereafter, there's nothing you can do.

Even if bailiffs do attend I have no claim against you in any event.

Hope this helps.