Stuart J
Stuart J, Solicitor
Experience:  PGD Law. 20 years legal profession, 6 as partner in High Street Practice
11292137

This problem relates to the google autocomplete service which

Customer Question

This problem relates to the google autocomplete service which basically offers you a drop down list of 'popular' search terms when you start typing into a google search engine. What has happened is that a friends name has started appearing in offensive terms - I won't repeat the exact phrase but its along the lines of 'XXXXX XXXXX aids'. Therefore anyone searching for John will have the suggestion put to them that he has aids. He wants this removing but google have refused to do this (via their online form submission page) this is offensive so we'd like it removing so how do we make google delete it? Cease and desist or will he need to sue for defamation?? Ideas grateful received. Thanks
Expert:  Stuart J replied 4 years ago.
How much does the friend want to spend on injuncting Google? How is this happening? Someone has done this content. Who? We need full background please. Thanks
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Thanks. Budget is fairly tight so less than £1000 ideally. not sure who but it could be malicious?
Expert:  Stuart J replied 4 years ago.
I am afraid that injuncting Google if they defend it could cost 5-50x that. although you would get that back if you win. You need to look at the author of the content and send them solicitors letter threatening injunction and costs. There is no magic free solution I am afraid.