UK-Justice
UK-Justice, Barrister
Experience:  Called to the Bar in 2007
41133288

I flew Iberia, my bagages were delayed, they offered me a compensation

Customer Question

I flew Iberia, my bagages were delayed, they offered me a compensation of EUR 350 below my cost of replacing few items. I also ask for addtional compensation as in the bagages there were a scuba diving mask with corrective lenses, impossible to replace and it spoilt my scuba diving trip. Any chance to obtain more on the basis of the replacement cost and/or as compemsation for the prejudice?
Expert:  UK-Justice replied 4 years ago.
Thanks for your question. Please remember to rate my answer SMILEY FACE OR ABOVE so that I am credited for my time.

Do you have travel insurance?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I don't know is probably the right answer and no the likely one anyway

If you did not have travel insurance then the answer is no.

This is because the compensation is limited by law.

So you should have travel insurance in order to claim more compensation.

No insurance - no more compensation.

Even if you took this to Court the answer would be the same - you should have had travel insurance.

I am sorry if this is not the answer you are looking for but based on what you have said, this is the legal position.

Please remember to click *** OK SERVICE *** or above so that I am credited for my time. The question does not close and you can ask follow ups.

Important: If you feel the need to rate as one of the lower two scores, it counts as negative feedback so please reply to me via the REPLY with any further questions you may have. I will be happy to assist you further.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

One more question if I can, looking at the EU law referring to the Montreal convention the max compensation seems to be 1000 or so drawing rights, more or less GBP 1000. They gave me 50 EUR per day for 7 days and they claimed is the maximum amount and the maximum number of days (get back my baggage more than 10 days after)

Yes the claim is about £1000 - but they will also expect you to have insurance also.

I'm just following up with you to see how everything is going. Did my answer help?

UK-Justice